Front tire issues

CharlieInTx

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the Ariens Ikon x 52 inch Zero Turn. For the life of me I cannot get the dang front tires (11 x 4.00 x 5) to stay on the rims. They are the ones that came with the mower so I know they're made for it. There are no holes in the tires. They generally come off when going around a small tree, etc. 1- How do I get them to stay on the rim? I'm not going 90 miles an hour or general hot doggin'. 2- Do you recommend a better tire than what comes on it? 3- Should I get a tire/with rim if buying new? 4- What is the hole size on the rim? #1 is the main issue.

Attachments

• 334731848_585463883640281_4593146497363619135_n.jpg
    334731848_585463883640281_4593146497363619135_n.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 334884354_108002502190660_4383748980822087246_n.jpg
    334884354_108002502190660_4383748980822087246_n.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most likely and the most common issue with those small tires is bead seal leaks. As suggested tubes are your best bet,... and new replacement tires will most likely also bead leak which puts you right back were you started

The other issue is since they are small tires, and don't hold much air and the normal lose of air through any tire which is the reason you have to add air to all tires, caused the pressure to drop quickly compared to larger tires.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
What pressure are you running them at? 20psi?
You can try dismounting the tires and replace the valve stems, cleaning the rims and tire beads really well and applying bead sealer when remounting the tires and run the max air pressure listed on the side if the tire. Be sure to check tire pressure before each mowing.

Or tubes

shadetree#1

Threads
AND their are lots of inner tubes available today, especially the lawn tractor type that are NO GOOD even when new. (and have premium prices)

Only brand names of inner tubes that seem to work ok for me is Carlisle and Firestone. (and they are not cheap)
AND
I do my own flat fixing and tube installs. If you are going to buy and tube and (pay for labor) have them install such it will amount to the cost of a new tire.
Usually the most painful part of installing a lawn tractor type tube is breaking down the tire from the rim and since yours already separates easily you might consider installing the tubes yourself. After a tube is installed I take a small black zip tie and install tightly around the stem next to the rim so as if the tire goes gets low on air or goes flat the tube stem is still accessible.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
What pressure are you running them at? 20psi?
You can try dismounting the tires and replace the valve stems, cleaning the rims and tire beads really well and applying bead sealer when remounting the tires and run the max air pressure listed on the side if the tire. Be sure to check tire pressure before each mowing.

Or tubes
Bead sealer works great, use it all the time. Inner tubes require getting the tube installed inside the tire (difficult), without damaging it, and then when you get a flat the tube is done. I only tube tires that have multiple leaks from dry rotted rubber.

shadetree#1

Threads
Bead sealer works great, use it all the time. Inner tubes require getting the tube installed inside the tire (difficult), without damaging it, and then when you get a flat the tube is done. I only tube tires that have multiple leaks from dry rotted rubber.
then when you get a flat the tube is done. I only tube tires that have multiple leaks from dry rotted rubber.

Right:
and if the HIS tires are losing air due to thorns/nails, the tubes will get pierced and just another aggravation and time $$'s wasted.

He might consider airing his tires to the max inflation and check the air pressure few hours later with a good low PSI digital tire gauge and if the tires are leaking, soap and water and find the leaks and if several leaks there might be thorns and no need installing tubes in throny tires and I cannot recommend slime fix a flat for long term use.
If current tires have several leaks buy new tires and keep them inflated properly.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Some of the pros use the very expensive tyre moose which turns into a spongy foam inside the tyre.
You still have to top up the air from time to time but it won't go dead flat & roll off the rim .
Down side is NOT CHEAP and makes the front wheels heavy.
Had a couple of commercial customers use the plumbers expanding foam with varying degrees of success .
Again after it has gone hard you need to reinflate the tyre and it needs a lot more pressure to return to the round shap.
\If left on the trailer for more than 2 weeks apparently the tyres develop flat spot that require a lot of air to push back round again.