Front Tire Bow Out

GhostBadger

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2004 MTD. It's a great tractor that I got for free from a coworker. The front tires bow out, though. I've messed with the drag links to try to fix it, but it didn't work. Has anyone had an issue with this before? If so, what was the culprit?

Thank you in advance.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Is it toe out or camber out at the bottom? Also post the model number from the serial number tag.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If this is the mower with the two drag links the problem could be anything from bent drag links, to bent steering spindles, to wear in the bushings on the sector gear, to wear on the front axle causing it to tilt, and I have even seen the frame bow over time causing this issue. So it could be just one thing or a combination of several things at once.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
So IL you have seen caster out of alignment too then. I haven't seen that problem here yet though I have seen a few with twisted spindles. My biggest headaches has been the Husqvarna (AYP) and JD mowers with dual and four non adjustable drag links. I use a hydraulic press to resolve those problems.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
So IL you have seen caster out of alignment too then. I haven't seen that problem here yet though I have seen a few with twisted spindles. My biggest headaches has been the Husqvarna (AYP) and JD mowers with dual and four non adjustable drag links. I use a hydraulic press to resolve those problems.
When i get those knock kneed mowers in with the severe toe out probs i quit buying parts. I remove the spindles and chuck them in a vise and use a pipe to bend the steering tab.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I hate that system with the dual steering links. I understand why they did it so people could have a shorter turning radius, but the old single steering link with the tie rod between the front tires was much more reliable. First ones I dealt with were on the MTD mowers, and people would bump the curb, or even turn hard down into a ditch and would bend the drag link causing severe toe in. And then they customer would get upset because they wouldn't warranty them because it was considered abuse. I have even seen a hard to turn steering spindle turn a brand new drag link into a pretzel.

GhostBadger

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is it toe out or camber out at the bottom? Also post the model number from the serial number tag.
Sorry about that. I'm somewhat new to all of this. It's a toe out problem. This tractor is the 608 series and the model number is 13AQ608H729.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
IL, My problems are the other way with the Husquarna that those stubby secondary drag links. Nearly everyone of them are heavily toed out.

GhostBadger as said it can be any one or a combination of the items in post 3#. This is why I got a press for adjusting the main drag links. On the setup you those drag link tend to straighten out causing toe out but as said even hard hit on solid object can twist a spindle causing the same problem.

GhostBadger

Forum Newbie
Threads
IL, My problems are the other way with the Husquarna that those stubby secondary drag links. Nearly everyone of them are heavily toed out.

GhostBadger as said it can be any one or a combination of the items in post 3#. This is why I got a press for adjusting the main drag links. On the setup you those drag link tend to straighten out causing toe out but as said even hard hit on solid object can twist a spindle causing the same problem.
Sounds like a solid system. Thank you for the info. Now I have specific things to look at versus just going in blindly and hoping it fixes the problem.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you re forming a hate club tou can sign me up as a life member .
I used to spend way too much time bending them back but now I just send them out to get the drag links cut & threaded like all tie rods should be if I can not find a threaded one.