Front mount mower gearbox

Renchy

Threads
Happy Easter all. New to Grasshopper/Form, bought used 2004 GH 724G-Kubota gas, Front mower #9852 w/737hrs. $2300. She came from school district.
Anyway question is the front mount gearbox under the mower deck. 1. How do you remove the drive Sheave holding the gear box or any of the Sheaves in? 2. How much gear oil does it take? 3. Also the bottom of the gear box I have noticed that the drain hole is in different orientations while researching on line with the drain hole in the top left or in the bottom right, which is correct?
Now there is nothing wrong with her (761hrs) runs like a top for mowing a small 2acre place, need to change that gear oil and can't find the answers on Line. Thanks for any info as I want to be preventive now! Renchy

Renchy

Threads
Happy Easter all. New to Grasshopper/Form, bought used 2004 GH 724G-Kubota gas, Front mower #9852 w/737hrs. $2300. She came from school district.
Anyway question is the front mount gearbox under the mower deck. 1. How do you remove the drive Sheave holding the gear box or any of the Sheaves in? 2. How much gear oil does it take? 3. Also the bottom of the gear box I have noticed that the drain hole is in different orientations while researching on line with the drain hole in the top left or in the bottom right, which is correct?
Now there is nothing wrong with her (761hrs) runs like a top for mowing a small 2acre place, need to change that gear oil and can't find the answers on Line. Thanks for any info as I want to be preventive now! Renchy
[/QUOTE

give them a call in A.M.
Thanks Mark, I have tried prior to joining, numbers pretty busy. Thought others on form may know as it's come up in older posts.

gsim

Threads
I had to replace gearbox on my 930D2. Could not drive up shaft out of sheave after removing the two lock bolts. 8 # sledge hammer, no good at all. So, To get sheave off, had to first remove rockstump shield beneath deck, behind baffle. Then had to remove all bolts holding case halves together. Case halves fell apart, zero oil in it, Gears fell out, leaving only up shaft connected to sheave. Removed that from top side of deck. Large hole beneath the sheave on mine. Put that in my bearing press, exceeded 40,000# 3 tiems, safety in press popped each time. wouldn't budge a bit, and yes, the two set bolts were removed! Had to apply heat via acetylene torch while maintaining top pressure and it came out bit by bit with popping noise. Rust. Factory puts them together dry. I shined inside of sheave collar with steel wool, applied film of white lithium grease to collar and new shaft of new gearbox. Went back together easy peasy. It was all due to rust. BEWARE OF LOW OIL LEVELS ON NEW BOXES. MINE WAS ONLY 2/3 FULL !!! Just needs gear oil added.

gsim

Threads
I had to replace gearbox on my 930D2. Could not drive up shaft out of sheave after removing the two lock bolts. 8 # sledge hammer, no good at all. So, To get sheave off, had to first remove rockstump shield beneath deck, behind baffle. Then had to remove all bolts holding case halves together. Case halves fell apart, zero oil in it, Gears fell out, leaving only up shaft connected to sheave. Removed that from top side of deck. Large hole beneath the sheave on mine. Put that in my bearing press, exceeded 40,000# 3 tiems, safety in press popped each time. wouldn't budge a bit, and yes, the two set bolts were removed! Had to apply heat via acetylene torch while maintaining top pressure and it came out bit by bit with popping noise. Rust. Factory puts them together dry. I shined inside of sheave collar with steel wool, applied film of white lithium grease to collar and new shaft of new gearbox. Went back together easy peasy. It was all due to rust. BEWARE OF LOW OIL LEVELS ON NEW BOXES. MINE WAS ONLY 2/3 FULL !!! Just needs gear oil added.

Renchy

Threads
No expert here, but I seem to remember that an enclosed gear box w/no weeping hole uses its seals as the pressure relief mechanism. So it could, might be possible to blow oil past the input drive seal if over filled as I have seen on other applications of this design. I've researched the amount required, position of the fill/drain hole (mine is bottom right w/the deck up for cleaning, manual deck) where the new gboxes it's on the top left) on the web an this form the answers are varying. So I drained mine an put a small sheet pan under the deck so I could lower the deck down so all the oil would drain left for a day. I checked by draining oil into measuring cup about 8-10oz by smear on pan and in measuring cup estimation. Used Amsoil 75W140 Full SYN. 1qt. squeeze bottle to put in about 10oz by weighing the bottle after. Engaging mower is much smoother @ idle and it seems quiter too. Nothing broken yet (used 4x tall pasture grass/weeds/cow-horse ****.).

gsim

Threads
No vent on Grasshopper deck gear boxes. So overfilling could cause horiz shaft seal to leak for sure. However 'full' plug is only 2//3 way up total height of box from bottom when box horizontal. So I think one I received was low. No reason designer/ mfr made 'full' plug in wrong place. And the gearbox on my 930 D2 is horizontal/level when deck in operating position. FOR MY MONEY, ROCK SHIELD OUGHT TO HAVE TWO HOLES BORED IN IT. ONE FOR ACCESS TO 'DRAIN' PLUG, OTHER FOR ACCESS TO 'FULL' PLUG. GRASSHOPOPER WOULD DO WELL TO MODIFY ALL OF THEM IN FUTURE MODELS TO REDUCE TIME NEEDED TO CHECK LEVELS AND TOP OFF IF NECESSARY. Mine was over 1500 hrs when it went dry, about 8 yrs old.

Renchy

Threads
I've got the older deck 9852, with no rock shield just a bar across the yoke. Been thinking of getting a new/used deck that has power fold but there ya go money. Oh! well nice to dream of a brand new GH.