Front Drive Wheels Keep Wearing Out!

mckdt

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an HU 700F walk behind front self-propelled push mower. I am replacing my front drive wheels every year. The metal sprocket is grinding the plastic teeth off of the inside of the wheels. Last year I replaced the wheels and the metal sprockets. Did not last one season. Why is this continuing to happen?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check the bushings on the drive gear shaft for play. Wheels usually wear out like that from too much gear backlash

rice4me

Threads
I have an HU 700F walk behind front self-propelled push mower. I am replacing my front drive wheels every year. The metal sprocket is grinding the plastic teeth off of the inside of the wheels. Last year I replaced the wheels and the metal sprockets. Did not last one season. Why is this continuing to happen?
This is how I fixed mine years ago and it still works. The wheel height adjuster is putting too much horizontal pressure on the wheel mounting plates causing a toe-in condition. Read comment with each photo Hope this helps. https://www.flickr.com/photos/24045457@N02/sets/72157668326021968/with/27762628118/

upupandaway

Threads
I have seen where the teeth themselves on the wheel are totally chewed to a nub the slipping, it must be the teeth. I would suggest get a file or dremel tool and round off the metal teeth. They must be shaving the plastic teeth.
I have seen sears mowers with the same setup from the 80's and the teeth are fine so it *can* last alot longer.