Front axle spacing between brackets question?

mroman59

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a DGT6000 Craftsman, 917.276120. I changed the nylon bushing on the front axle. I was wondering if there is suppose to be any space between the bracket and the axle after you tighten the nut. I changed it because I saw a space gap on both the front and back of the axle between the brackets and thought the bushing was starting to wear. I was thinking that it was causing steering play. After changing the bushing, I still notice a slight space between the axle but less. When you turn the wheel the axle hits on front or back bracket depending which way you turn the tire of course. I assume there has to be some space so as the axle can rotate up and down between the brackets. Does anyone know about this installation and how it should be done. Your help is appreciated.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
can you post some images of the problem?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

check steering shaft gear & sector gear teeth for wear, if they are in good shape add some grease to teeth, clean off old grease & add new grease at every service. As far as steering wheel play you may have a little, but if play is sloppy or too much, DANGEROUS SITUATION. You will need to inspect for worn out parts & replace them ASAP. Please keep us informed, thanks, Mark

Last edited: