Front axle bushing

CLStout

Threads
I suppose this is a stupid question, but how can I tell if this bushing is bad? Will there be back and forth movement? Is it difficult to replace? This is on a 20hp 42" Ariens tractor, model number 936042.

Thanks

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Question, Which ones are you referring to? 67 or 74. The 74s are easy to get to. 67s no so much.
And yes there will a lot of play in the area.

1658710750414.png
The center pivot bushings will require removal of the axle. And you might need to do a little grinding on the bushing depending on the center pivot point wear. But of course I like a tighter spec than the OEM on these joints. Like Snapper idler arm I did Saturday where I remove .002-.005" from the bushing to limit the play.

CLStout

Threads
I'm already replacing the 74's. I am inquiring about the 67's. I figured it would not be such an easy repair. I've had this mower for numerous years now, and never changed any of these bushings. There's a lot of play in the steering, and I have a toe out situation, too. I have new steering linkage, new spindle bushings, and I replaced the front tires. So, it's a difficult repair?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Only if the bush has worn a ridge on the bolt
They pry out relatively easily once the bar has been removed
Check for wear on the frame
you may need to pack out the rear one to take up the slack

CLStout

Threads
By the diagram I assume that 2 bushings are needed? So far I've only been able to locate them in a single bushing.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yep.
2 of them
Not 100% familiar with that particular mower but usually the 2 bushings touch preventing the pivot bolt from being overtightened .

CLStout

Threads
Can you possibly advise where I can get these in a pair? It's been quite difficult to locate just one. Is there maybe a cross reference for the same part? I assume it's used in other makes and models. The Ariens part number is 21546336. I tried doing a search on the internet for a cross reference, but I didn't find anything.

Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well AFAIK Ariens never made a mower they designed them then had them made
From the parts books they appear to be the AYP ( Husqvarna layout ) and were used on the LT & LTH series which are getting a bit long in the tooth
and low & behold, the Husqvarna part 532 19 47-37 which according to some web sites is NLA and according to others superceeds to 529 49 63-01 which some sites say they have in stock.
OTOH the new part does not seem to have any photos
They are not pairs as such so take your single new one to a good bearing shop near an industrial area and there is a good chance they will recognise it if it is a standard top hat bush

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
174737 superseded to 532174737 then was superseded to 529496301.

And I get no hits on 532496301 which appears to be a bad number. I have seen sites to make up their own numbers lately. Definitely no such number in my latest price files from Gardner and RBI.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
local listing
Note they have a price but none in stock so they have to be ordered in
I don't usually order from this mob , just the first one that popped up
My bad I copied the number down wrong should be 529496301so I will go back & amend the incorrect post above
E bay listing that of course will only be good for a short while new bush on evilpay
The original part photo appears to be a plastic bush
New part looks the be a bronze powder pressing