Freedom Z SFZ Control Issue

LSU-Mike

Threads
The mower is 12 years old with 1200 hours. I took the mower to a repair shop due to a leaking seal on the left transaxle. Also the left steering control arm had recently started rapidly returning to neutral in a very quick almost jerky movement. This arm now requires very little force to move it. Previously both arms would smoothly return to neutral when released or changing directions. The right side still operates smoothly. The repair shop replaced the seal, but didn't address the jerky movement.

After discovering this movement issue had not been addressed by the shop, I inspected the transaxle area and discovered the pump linkage was missing from the left side. The part to which the treaded end of the rod should connect still had a shiny threaded hole. The hole in the part into which the bent end of the linkage should fit was slightly rusted. I assume the linkage first came loose at the pump lever, then eventually backed out of the threaded part. Due to the rust on the pump lever, I don't think this was a result of the recent service at the shop.

I've fabricated a new rod, but that has not affected the movement of the control arm (still jerky). The manual doesn't address any adjustment for this rod.

Can anyone provide guidance for adjusting this pump linkage, and/or have suggestions as to what could cause this kind of control arm behavior? Fuild level is fine.

Thanks,
Mike