FR651V running rough after running out of fuel

twernicke

Threads
Hey guys, I have a Husqvarna Zero True mower with the Kawasaki FR651V. It only has about (90) hours on it and was running just fine. It ran out of fuel and after filling it is running pretty rough at low idle. Since this engine is not EFI I assumed that there was not a priming procedure for the fuel system. Anything I should be looking for? The plugs are new, air filter is clean and the fuel filter is about a year old. Is it possible that the fuel pump is failing?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Make sure gas cap vent hole is not stopped up, try loosening gas cap or removing completely & try starting. I use B&S fuel treatment per instructions on bottle with 93 octane gas no issues. You may want to check valve lash adjustment, engine cold, per Kawasaki engine manual. I will also venture to say that no your fuel pump is not failing. Let us know how it goes, thanks, Mark

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey guys, I have a Husqvarna Zero True mower with the Kawasaki FR651V. It only has about (90) hours on it and was running just fine. It ran out of fuel and after filling it is running pretty rough at low idle. Since this engine is not EFI I assumed that there was not a priming procedure for the fuel system. Anything I should be looking for? The plugs are new, air filter is clean and the fuel filter is about a year old. Is it possible that the fuel pump is failing?

It's a possibility. Unlog the fuel line to the carb, and turn it over a couple of times. If fuel squirts out a foot or so, then it's good. If not check, or better yet, change your fuel filter. Could be a little something got passed your fuel filter and has lodged in a carb jet.

twernicke

Threads
Make sure gas cap vent hole is not stopped up, try loosening gas cap or removing completely & try starting. I use B&S fuel treatment per instructions on bottle with 93 octane gas no issues. You may want to check valve lash adjustment, engine cold, per Kawasaki engine manual. I will also venture to say that no your fuel pump is not failing. Let us know how it goes, thanks, Mark

Tried the gas cap thing, same issue. I replaced the fuel filter, same issue. Valve lash adjustment next up I guess. Thx!

twernicke

Threads
It's a possibility. Unlog the fuel line to the carb, and turn it over a couple of times. If fuel squirts out a foot or so, then it's good. If not check, or better yet, change your fuel filter. Could be a little something got passed your fuel filter and has lodged in a carb jet.

I changed the fuel filter today and tried that while the line was open and the pump seems good. Thx!

twernicke

Threads

After changing the fuel filter and starting the motor I noticed that the idle speed goes up and then down significantly in a repeatable cycle. I can see a lever moving under the carburetor moving in sync when the RPM's change. Is this connected to the governor? Any clues from this???

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
After changing the fuel filter and starting the motor I noticed that the idle speed goes up and then down significantly in a repeatable cycle. I can see a lever moving under the carburetor moving in sync when the RPM's change. Is this connected to the governor? Any clues from this???

Did the rough idle stop, and is now a surging idle? That be the case, then more than likely, you'll need to take the carb apart and clean it out. Keep the carb upright when you remove it. If you can just take the bowl off, take it off where the fuel stays in the bowl. That way you can inspect the fuel in the bowl before you dump it out. Look for particles and/or water. That probably won't have a lot to do with the surging. Just something I try to do when I remove a carb.

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Agreed, running out of gas, means it sucked the bottom of the tank, which may have had some crud that got by the filter, into the carb.