FR651V Improvised Air Filter, one can easily see why it picks up so much stuff, look where it is mounted.

RayMcD

Threads
  • / FR651V Improvised Air Filter, one can easily see why it picks up so much stuff, look where it is mounted.
I would ask, it one was to simply extended the air intake hose 1' straight up and then re attached the stock filter. This would get it above much of the stuff that it is currently being picked up. Anything it might come in contact with would certainly hit the driver first.
Would one think this likely to cause a breathing issue with the engine? Most farm equipment used in dusty areas already move the breather up, many even use an oil bath filter. r

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
  • / FR651V Improvised Air Filter, one can easily see why it picks up so much stuff, look where it is mounted.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The size of the stuff that ends up in the engine is way too fine for moving the filter up 1" to make any difference to
Now moving it to the top of the ROPS would make a big difference
The other problem is he elbow itself which just does not fit properly even when new so by the time it is 3 to 4 years old is too hard to make an airtight seal
This is why the FX comes with the proper filter as standard , the Donaldson 3 stage filter fitted with a flow gauge so you never touch it till the filter needs changing.
The idea that you can pull any filter off, tap the loose dirt out then refit it and have it make a proper seal is a myth.
If a filter comes off then it gets replaced .
It is fairly obvious that the F series of engines were designed as the FX then cheapened to make the FS & FR when Kawakasi wen from the choice for a commercial engine to replace the top end Hondas to just another option on domestic models
I fit a lot of Donaldsons to customers mowers, generally after the poor filter has allowed the bores to be polished glass smooth , which if they run a bagger can be as little as 3 years.
Back in the days when people would pay a reasonable price for a push mower, companies who valued their products like Victa down here & Lawn Boy over there fitted snorkels to their mowers so they pulled air down from the top of the handlebars and these mowers will run for 100 years on the original bores, if not longer.

Now days the go is to use a low filter so the engine sucks lots of dust causing the owners to get them serviced because the filter is causing the engine to run rich and the engines on lazy owners machines to wear out in a few seasons .
The modern lean burn accentuates this situation so people end up replacing what used to be a once in a life time item every 5 years if not sooner

RayMcD

Threads
The size of the stuff that ends up in the engine is way too fine for moving the filter up 1" to make any difference to
Now moving it to the top of the ROPS would make a big difference
The other problem is he elbow itself which just does not fit properly even when new so by the time it is 3 to 4 years old is too hard to make an airtight seal
This is why the FX comes with the proper filter as standard , the Donaldson 3 stage filter fitted with a flow gauge so you never touch it till the filter needs changing.
The idea that you can pull any filter off, tap the loose dirt out then refit it and have it make a proper seal is a myth.
If a filter comes off then it gets replaced .
It is fairly obvious that the F series of engines were designed as the FX then cheapened to make the FS & FR when Kawakasi wen from the choice for a commercial engine to replace the top end Hondas to just another option on domestic models
I fit a lot of Donaldsons to customers mowers, generally after the poor filter has allowed the bores to be polished glass smooth , which if they run a bagger can be as little as 3 years.
Back in the days when people would pay a reasonable price for a push mower, companies who valued their products like Victa down here & Lawn Boy over there fitted snorkels to their mowers so they pulled air down from the top of the handlebars and these mowers will run for 100 years on the original bores, if not longer.

Now days the go is to use a low filter so the engine sucks lots of dust causing the owners to get them serviced because the filter is causing the engine to run rich and the engines on lazy owners machines to wear out in a few seasons .
The modern lean burn accentuates this situation so people end up replacing what used to be a once in a life time item every 5 years if not sooner
Bert, look again, the plan is to move it a foot higher, actually would like the filter to end up about the same height as the seat top. My machine is a 2019 48" CRZ so it has no ROPS. I intend to fashion a filter box that uses a large round filter like was common on most cars a few years back. Years back someone lifted the entire breather assembly from my Grandfathers truck. I friend cobbled together a replacement using two pieces of plywood. I refined the assembly so that is would allow the choke to work easily and it did us well until the truck was sold. I plan to build such an assembly to fit my FR651V. I assume as long as I end up with as much or more filter surface area it would not damage the engine. r

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ray- Pics would be interesting to see, should you proceed on this mod.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A foot would be good
However there are a lot of filters from Donaldson or EngineAire that are plug & play.
The only thing you need is some convoluted tube to link them together .
Go to the link posted earlier to see how a couple of others did the job.