FR651V firing on 1 cylinder

Andernathan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey y'all.
I have a Cub Cadet with a Kawasaki FR651V motor. The mower began bogging down when I engaged the PTO. I found by pulling plugs that I was only firing on one cylinder. I swapped plugs, swapped and gapped the coils, and still the same cylinder wasn't firing. I removed the valve cover and found that one of the valve rockers had come loose, allowing one of the push rods to become unseated, and one of the push rods was bent. I just replaced both rods on that cylinder and by manually turning the motor they appear to be doing what they're supposed to yet, I'm still not firing on that cylinder. I have good blue spark but nothing.
Where would you suggest I go from here? I don't think my cam shaft got damaged since the push rod bend was on this side of the head. I haven't checked compression. I'm just not sure what else could be wrong.
Thank you!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Double check that the valves were set on the compression stroke & not the exhaust stroke
Check the push rod is properly seated
Check that the valves are at the same height on this cylinder and it is the same as the other cylinder
And check that the lash cap is still on the valve

Andernathan

Forum Newbie
Threads
I appreciate it, bertsmobile1
I'll check these out this afternoon. Thanks!

Andernathan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, thanks so much for your help! I rechecked my valve adjustment and I was off. Not by much at all but I readjusted and, boom, I'm back up and running.
Thanks again!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check YOUR engine manual for proper valve adjustment tips. Some engines require the piston 1/4" into the bore.

Another way to set the valves is when one valve is fully pushed down INTO the head, set the other valve that is fully UP.

Rotate engine till opposite condition occurs. Set that other valve.

slomo