Fixing up my 1994 MTD

CDelSignore

Forum Newbie
Threads
Three years ago, I bought a used '94 (134L670G023) MTD with 12.5HP engine and a bagger attachment. At the beginning of last spring, one of the front tires wouldn't hold air, and the it turns out the sidewalls were too cracked. On a 25 year old mower?!? No way, right?!? LOL! So, I did what any person with halfway decent ability did, and installed a tube in that wheel and away I went! Well, no. Apparently, I didn't have halfway decent ability. The valve slipped into the tire before it was fully inflated, and, well, yeah. So, I did what any person with a quarter of decent ability, and bought a universal replacement.

This year, I've done quite a bit on the mower, and just replaced the RH front axle spindle and tie rod. While I was doing that, I figured I'd replace the bushings and give everything a good greasing. This is the OEM wheel I didn't replace, and I noted that the grease fitting was missing. The hole is there, but it's wide open. As it turns out, I now have halfway decent ability and just replaced the tube in the OEM wheel that I failed to replace the tube in last year. That wheel still has the grease fitting, so when I put it back on the mower, I'll be able to grease it all up good.

My question is, where do I get a replacement grease fitting for the OEM wheel that's missing it?!? Below is a pic of the fitting on the one wheel. There is just a round hole (not tapped) in the other wheel. I don't even think I'd be able to get a tap into that area to tap it for a zerc. Anyone have any idea where I can get a replacement fitting? I've looked at ereplacement parts and there is no call out for that fitting.

Inline image

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would actually suggest blocking the hole off and taking the wheel off to clean and grease the bushings now and then. Makes sure they are evenly lubed.

CDelSignore

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would actually suggest blocking the hole off and taking the wheel off to clean and grease the bushings now and then. Makes sure they are evenly lubed.
I suppose I could do that while searching for the fitting. Thanks!

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Those grease fittings are pretty universal for about anything. Likely a 1/8 or 1/16" npt thread which is a tapered thread that would probably screw into the wheel with a little persuasion. Any autoparts store should have a card with several fittings.

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The factory MTD zerks just press in and come out all the time. You can just crank in any threaded zerk that starts in the hole.

Richie F

Threads
The press in zerks are available.
You can buy it and use a brass hammer/punch and knock it in.
Cleaning the hole for it with brake clean and using red loctite on the end of the zerk will make sure it won't come out.
The screw in type are 1/4-20 thread.
Zerk fittings are not hardened to make their own threads so you will have tap it.