Fire damage HRX217 -- what to replace?

GR8SCOTT

Forum Newbie
Threads
My mower suffered some fire damage and the mower repair place wanted to put in a new engine rather than repair the damaged parts. I bought it used for $300 in the spring and didn't want to put another $450 into it (buy a new one!). So I'm going to try and fix it myself, but not sure what parts I need to get.

Based on the parts I got back, I think it needs a new carburetor and air cleaner assembly. The cover seems to be only cosmetically damaged so I won't replace it.

Or should I just buy a new mower next spring and forget trying to fix this one? It ran great before the fire. Sigh.

20211018_134012.jpg20211018_124029.jpg20211018_123950.jpg20211018_124254.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yep.
The entire fuel system including air filter housing will need replacing
Unless that plastic cover sits on top of another, it will need to be replaced as well as it controls the flow of cooling air over the engine so you can get poor local cooling & warping .
Most repair workshops , as different from big glass front retail shops will have piles of dead engines
Some will sell you an entire engine with a broken rod or seized piston, others will break them down on a piece by piece basis .

GR8SCOTT

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yep.
The entire fuel system including air filter housing will need replacing
Unless that plastic cover sits on top of another, it will need to be replaced as well as it controls the flow of cooling air over the engine so you can get poor local cooling & warping .
Most repair workshops , as different from big glass front retail shops will have piles of dead engines
Some will sell you an entire engine with a broken rod or seized piston, others will break them down on a piece by piece basis .
Thanks! So cheaper to buy an old engine for the parts I need instead of buying new parts?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are there & I am 10,000 miles away.
Down here real repair shops have mountains of old engine for just this purpose.
Franchise shops will want to sell you a new mower and price the parts needed accordingly

enigma-2

Threads
Also, new mowers are hard to get. None for sale here in N Indiana. Dealer says "mayby" next year; no commitment from Honda as to when. Supply and demand, price should be at a premium next spring.