Finding the regulator

stihlman

Threads
287707-0225-01
engine BS 14.5 i

Murrays numbers
4291CX92A
95334-189336

I got this 25 year old Murray 42" Rider 14.5 front engine to use as a tractor only. After finding out the battery was bad I checked the charging system and found it was putting out 16volts about 3/4 throttle. ( Battery was shot too) So I used Google to gather all the documents I could find and I found most of them. Using the IPLs I saw it had a regulator and figured that was problem so I ordered it. I go down to the tractor and I can not find it. Unless its on the front of the tractor I did not have a dry place to get down to look there. I felt it should have been near the starter. These IPLs are seldom clear on position..

It cranks and runs. I hate to cook my new battery. I saw no hanging wires, in fact to be that old, its in good shape and runs great. Its loud enough to remind me of my old MEP016b generator loud enough to wake the dead/

So I also did not find a missing bolt hole where the regulator might have sat. Briggs archive is complete and clear until this came up. Briggs made Murray then.

Can someone tell me where to look? thanks

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Depending on what stator you have there may or may not be a regulator. If you have a two wire connector with a shrink tube bump above the connector then there is not regulator. It is a 3 amp DC non regulator output to the battery and the other wire is AC for headlights. If it has a single wire connector than it most likely would have the regulator.

I highly bet that you have the dual circuit non regulator charging system.

stihlman

Threads
Thanks fellas I have enough to help myself now. I did check the battery for AC and got none, it does have headlights. I will look at the wire and look for a bump and check for 12v to the lights. I never looked to see if the lights worked. I will report back sometime this weekend after I get a chance to read through this and identify what I have. When I look most parts I can find thats great for an old engine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the mower has a manual blade engagement then it will be fitted with a dual circuit alternator so the lights will be AC and get brighter as the revs increase because the voltage increases.
If it has an electric clutch then it will have a regulator

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Strange Google came with nothing using model number 4291CX92A here.

The Murray model number appears to be 42910X92A instead of 4291CX92A. Produced Nov 30, 1995. I did manage to find the IPL for this mower using a source here but even Briggs don't the IPL; although, they did purchase the Murray Ohio company.

The stator will be the dual circuit per the wiring schematic.

And the mower has a manual PTO clutch.

Last edited:

Born2Mow

Threads
TIME is what everyone forgets about when discussing charging systems.

16V may be OK if you only use your new "tractor" for 15 minute jobs. This because the "wet" nature of the battery will absorb the heat of charging, especially if the battery is fairly large. A pot of water doesn't boil the instant you turn the burner on, and a battery has a similar "lag time". Of course, the same plan for a mower that gets ridden in 2 or 3 hour continuous chunks of time will fail simply because of the longer time on charge.

What are the usage plans for your new "tractor" ?? How much 'run time' will it see ?

stihlman

Threads
You hit the nail on the head. I assume I need to replace the diode in the 6 pin harness or replace the dual stator. Either way would I do that by removing the red top on the engine and work down. In the attachments it appears the short harness has two bare wires, either I solder the new one on the old stator or replace the whole stator. Am I close? on mine the wiring harness is 698329. the dual stator is 696459 and just the connector if I want to solder is 393456. i got those numbers off the ipl briggs sent below I can get it all.

between the three documents here its complete

Depending on what stator you have there may or may not be a regulator. If you have a two wire connector with a shrink tube bump above the connector then there is not regulator. It is a 3 amp DC non regulator output to the battery and the other wire is AC for headlights. If it has a single wire connector than it most likely would have the regulator.

I highly bet that you have the dual circuit non regulator charging system.

Attachments

• ignition_wiring_6_pin_ms5301.pdf
    88.9 KB · Views: 4
  • from briggs 287707022501(1).pdf
    650 KB · Views: 3

stihlman

Threads
TIME is what everyone forgets about when discussing charging systems.

16V may be OK if you only use your new "tractor" for 15 minute jobs. This because the "wet" nature of the battery will absorb the heat of charging, especially if the battery is fairly large. A pot of water doesn't boil the instant you turn the burner on, and a battery has a similar "lag time". Of course, the same plan for a mower that gets ridden in 2 or 3 hour continuous chunks of time will fail simply because of the longer time on charge.

What are the usage plans for your new "tractor" ?? How much 'run time' will it see ?

For a while a lot and then never. I will fix it.

stihlman

Threads
I am like you i could not find the model so I tried to get close on the tractor. The engine i have the exact IPL. see my numbers below

Strange Google came with nothing using model number 4291CX92A here.

The Murray model number appears to be 42910X92A instead of 4291CX92A. Produced Nov 30, 1995. I did manage to find the IPL for this mower using a source here but even Briggs don't the IPL; although, they did purchase the Murray Ohio company.

The stator will be the dual circuit per the wiring schematic.

And the mower has a manual PTO clutch.

Attachments

• number1.jpg
    number1.jpg
    954.6 KB · Views: 1