Finding a Legit Oil Filter

AdamE

Threads
Hi all.

I bought a new Exmark Radius last fall. I did the 5 hour oil change and I now have 17 hours on it. I want to do another change soon and started looking for oil filters. I bought the the filter for the first change at the place I bought the mower, but later realized that it was an Exmark 126-5234. I don't see that listed anywhere for my Exmark engine.

I then ordered a 136-7848 (which from what I can tell is the correct part) from Amazon. It was supposed to be a genuine Toro filter and it came from Outdoor Power Equipment, but it had no branding or part number on it, and fearing it was a Chinese knockoff, I sent it back.

Then, I started looking online and a lot of the filters I see don't have branding or part numbers (a least from the photos they show). My question is, is it normal for an Exmark or Toro filter to not have the company name or part number? Or, is this a sure sign that it's not original?

Thanks!

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
When are you going to do the next oil change after this one? You don't need a new filter if you're going to change oil every 12 hours.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
If it’s an Exmark branded 708cc 24.5 hp engine, A Fram 4967 series filter works. Also, the STP S4967 works. Some aftermarket filters will not work on the Exmark/Toro branded Loncin engines.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is a LAWNMOWER not the space shuttle.
Mower engine filter specifications are so close to each other that the only real consideration is the physical size & shape that will fit in the space .
As it is a new mower either use what ever the dealer sells you & keep the receipts or buy a recognised branded after market filter from Stens, Rotary, or Prime Line
In the bad old days manufacturers could get away with voiding warranty if you used aftermarket parts or had the mower serviced any where else than the branded dealer.
Those days are long gone .
OTOH Never fit any part that does not have a manufacturers name or number on it
Quality parts will always be branded and have a way of tracing them like a serial or batch nuber
Junk parts don't

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wix filters is all I use.
I had a Toro with the 708cc 24.5 HP engine. I tried the NAPA Gold 1394(WIX 51394) and it wouldn’t work. It leaked oil around the gasket. I had the same problem with the Mobil 1 filter. The filter base would bottom out on the mounting flange and the gasket wouldn’t compress enough to seal. The only filters that would work and not leak were the Exmark, the Toro, FRAM 4967 series and the STP S4967.

AdamE

Threads
When are you going to do the next oil change after this one? You don't need a new filter if you're going to change oil every 12 hours.
I just wanted to change it before 20 hours to get the rest of any wear-in bits out of it. That means the filter too. I'll then do regularly scheduled changes.

I know I'm being overly cautious, but for $20, it can't hurt.

AdamE

Threads
It is a LAWNMOWER not the space shuttle.
Mower engine filter specifications are so close to each other that the only real consideration is the physical size & shape that will fit in the space .
As it is a new mower either use what ever the dealer sells you & keep the receipts or buy a recognised branded after market filter from Stens, Rotary, or Prime Line
In the bad old days manufacturers could get away with voiding warranty if you used aftermarket parts or had the mower serviced any where else than the branded dealer.
Those days are long gone .
OTOH Never fit any part that does not have a manufacturers name or number on it
Quality parts will always be branded and have a way of tracing them like a serial or batch nuber
Junk parts don't
Not sure where in my post I made it sound like I owned a space shuttle... I just asked a fairly straight forward question about a filter.

Reactions: me3

JDeere101

Threads
I always put Kohler Filters on Kohler engines and etc. etc. , I,ve found when it comes to small air cooled engines it pays to use OEM parts.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Motor oil
Hydro oil
Spark plugs
Time for an oil filter thread

Stens for most everything.

Briggs, kohler, Kawasaki, John Deere don't make oil filters.

It begins.