FH721V will not start

Nod

Threads
Was going to mow for the last time this year but my mower, a ferris 1500z will not start. It ran and started up fine the last time it was used. I have fuel in the fuel bowel and spark at the plugs. There is no fuel getting to the plugs. I sprayed carb cleaner directly into the carb, took the hose off going to the air filter so I could get at it. It will not fire and the plugs are dry. The fuel solenoid clicks off and on. I cannot find a wrench thin enough to take it off to actually check it. What should I do next, thanks for any help.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did it start when you sprayed directly into the carb?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
remove the spark plugs, spray a little carb cleaner or put a 1/2 teaspoon of fuel down each plug hole.
Replace the plugs with new ones and crank the engine.
If it fires the spark timing is OK
Then try the carb cleaned in the carb ( make sure the choke is open ) then close the choke & crank the engine
If it fires then the valves are OK so that leaves the carb solenoid.
It is 1/2" so get a cheap wrench and grind it thinner or buy a real top shelf Stahlwille that is made from better quality steel so is thinner.

Nod

Threads
remove the spark plugs, spray a little carb cleaner or put a 1/2 teaspoon of fuel down each plug hole.
Replace the plugs with new ones and crank the engine.
If it fires the spark timing is OK
Then try the carb cleaned in the carb ( make sure the choke is open ) then close the choke & crank the engine
If it fires then the valves are OK so that leaves the carb solenoid.
It is 1/2" so get a cheap wrench and grind it thinner or buy a real top shelf Stahlwille that is made from better quality steel so is thinner.

Thank you, I will try this.

Nod

Threads
Well I did not have new plugs to put in. It fired when I put the carb cleaner into the plug holes but it did nothing when I sprayed cleaner into the carb. Going to get new plugs tomorrow and try it again. I don't know much about small engines. Can the valves be adjusted?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In that case either the valves are out of adjustment or the cam shaft is not turning,
Time to remove the rocker covers and the plugs then slowly rotate the engine and check the operation of the valves on each cylinder.

Nod

Threads
I adjusted the valves and installed new spark plugs. It cranked and ran fine after burning off the excess gas and carb cleaner. I let it run for 15 minutes. Still have to pull the choke to crank it. It has been that way since i bought it. I don't think the starter is spinning fast enough either. I had to buy a new battery at the first of the year, old one had a bad cell. The new one didn't spin it any faster than the old one before it went bad. I'll check the wiring and pull the starter. Thanks, at least its running now.