Feasibility of rebuilding engine on 30 year old Honda Mower

Threads
  • / Feasibility of rebuilding engine on 30 year old Honda Mower
I have a Honda HR215-SXA Self-Propelled mower that is about 30 years old. It still works fine. I have only had to replace the control cables and the wheels. I usually have preventive maintenance done every other year by a Honda Power Equipment dealer. It is starting to use more oil so I figure the rings probably need to be replaced. It has a cast aluminum deck and there is only minor rust on the handle tubing. I am thinking of rebuilding the engine over next Winter but I just talked to a local mower repair guy who said he doubts I could find the parts to do this rebuild. Does anyone have any experience doing a job like this?
Thanks,
Don

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Any motor can be rebuilt, but at what cost? Make a list of any parts that you feel are going to be in need of replacement. Then google the web to see what parts are available and cost. From that point you can make your decision.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unless you a going to do the job yourself, I doubt it would be cost effective.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No problems with most Honda parts.
There are even aftermarket Honda ring suppliers who sell through mower shops.
What is the killer is the labour costs .
most shops will bill it out as 2 to 4 hours and that will be better than 1/2 the price of a new mower .

Threads
I was going to do the labor myself. Sometime in the 1970's I completely rebuilt the engine in my 1968 Chevelle SS396 but I was maybe 40 years ago. Maybe 5 or so years later I rebuilt the carburetor in my 1966 Chevy BelAir station wagon. Once again, many years ago. I suppose another way to go would be to sell the current mower and buy a new Honda. I like the HRX217HYA. Just watched this review today.
Still undecided. My current mower may still go another 5 to 10 years with just tuneups.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
What is the engine size on yours? Most of those in that era are small cc's. I would repower it if it were mine. By the time you scrounge for parts and LABOR, don't think you would get ahead vs a new engine that is a simple bolt on deal. Your old carb will need to be replaced $$$. Shaft and so on will be worn. Other parts the same.....

slomo

mmoffitt

Threads
Just keep putting oil in it! " Run what you brung' "

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
I was going to do the labor myself. Sometime in the 1970's I completely rebuilt the engine in my 1968 Chevelle SS396 but I was maybe 40 years ago. Maybe 5 or so years later I rebuilt the carburetor in my 1966 Chevy BelAir station wagon. Once again, many years ago. I suppose another way to go would be to sell the current mower and buy a new Honda. I like the HRX217HYA. Just watched this review today.
Still undecided. My current mower may still go another 5 to 10 years with just tuneups.
that mower has a plastic housing any any shop that has worked on a few will tell you there are fasteners embedded in the plastic serving as a nut with rust and are inaccessible so when you try to take it apart, you will loose the battle.

Charlie8d

Threads
Just how MUCH oil is it using ? Say, how much does it use in 1 hour of cutting grass ? If it is not too bad, a little thicker oil might help. Oil is still pretty cheap.