FC290V FSO4 COIL

Bbiffle

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a snapper walk behind with a fc290v fs04 and it runs for a little while then quits when it gets warm. The resistance on the primary side if the coil with the 5kohm plug attached goes from good, about 17.5k ohms to bad, about 19k ohms. This engine does not have an external igniter. I can't seem to find a replacement 21121 2084 or 20021 2058 coil except on ebay from China for about 100. I was wondering if the 21121-2070 coil from a fc400 would work if I put it on with an external igniter. Has anyone tried this?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
In theory the FC400 coil should work, BUT, sometimes are larger engines the mounting holes are farther apart.
I had no spark on my fc290 a few months ago, the culprit was the igniter, but i replaced the coil and igniter...i still have the old coil, i think...

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
valves can tighten when they get hotter. Make sure that the problem is no spark. A simple inductive timing light on it should answer that question. Use a 12V battery to power the light if need be. If you get a flash when it is cold but not hot that confirms your suspicion.

Bbiffle

Forum Newbie
Threads
In theory the FC400 coil should work, BUT, sometimes are larger engines the mounting holes are farther apart.
I had no spark on my fc290 a few months ago, the culprit was the igniter, but i replaced the coil and igniter...i still have the old coil, i think...
Thanks, the one I found on Amazon shows the hole spacing and it is the same. Think I will try it.

Bbiffle

Forum Newbie
Threads
valves can tighten when they get hotter. Make sure that the problem is no spark. A simple inductive timing light on it should answer that question. Use a 12V battery to power the light if need be. If you get a flash when it is cold but not hot that confirms your suspicion.
Thanks, I'm getting no spark after it warms up.

Bbiffle

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, the one I found on Amazon shows the hole spacing and it is the same. Think I will try it.
Bought the fc400 coil and an ignitor, put it on and it works. Kind of hard to start, I think it has to spin a little faster, but it runs good