FB460V Backfires.

kh0432

Threads
Picked up a John Deere SX95 with a Kawasaki FB460V. Mower has been sitting for over a year but the seller assured me it was running when parked. When I tried starting it with starting fluid it would cough from the carburetor and muffler. Could both valves be stuck from sitting? Haven't done a compression check yet because it's too cold to work outside. Just trying to get some ideas before spring. Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes iif stored badly you can get enough rust on both valves to prevent then closing fully.

kh0432

Threads
I'll pull the valve cover off and see if they're moving freely while cranking. Maybe spraying the stems will free them up and I'll check the valve clearance while I'm in there.

kh0432

Threads
Got the motor running after cleaning the carburetor. Now it surges a lot at idle, not as bad at full throttle and when I engage the blade it smooths out and runs fine. Any thoughts?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The idle circuit on the carb still needs cleaned. When you engage the blades you load the engine enough to run on the high speed circuit.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Pay extra attention to the pilot jet area when cleaning too.

kh0432

Threads
Cleaned the carb twice with 2+2 then bought a Ultrasonic cleaner and ran it through 2 - 4 minute heated cycles with detergent. This thing is squeaky clean and still doing the same thing. Runs great under a load. I have a new carb coming today and will put it on tomorrow and post the results. Thanks for all the input.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The idle circuit is the smallest passages in the carb. If it surges on the govenor the idle passage is blocked. Get a set of acetylene torch tip cleaners and ream out all the idle passages. If it has a Honda type pilot jet the passage will be tiny.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
two 4 minutes cycle is no where enough time as it take 1-3 30 minutes cylces on the USC I got here that has four 40watts ultrasonic transducers to clean many carburetors deeply especially the dirty ones. Just because is clean on the outside doesn't mean it is cleaned in those tiny internal passages.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
two 4 minutes cycle is no where enough time as it take 1-3 30 minutes cylces on the USC I got here that has four 40watts ultrasonic transducers to clean many carburetors deeply especially the dirty ones. Just because is clean on the outside doesn't mean it is cleaned in those tiny internal passages.

Same here.
Cube carbs get a degreaser soak the rinse to remove the external crud.
If it is set up I might give them a soda blast instead, depend how grubby I am as the soda goes everywhere.
For large carbs, they get an external soda blast then disassembled and another soda blast followed by at least 1 x 30 minute ultrasound using a special carb formula I get from my mower parts wholesaler.
After that they get a seecond 30 minutes using a 5% white vinegar solution
after that it is a final rinse in near boiling water.

Takes a long time, but the machine does the work while I do other things.

Last edited: