FasTrak 54 won't start

Abrasive10

Forum Newbie
Threads
FasTrak 54", 51 hours on it, Kawasaki 23hp motor. Brand new last summer (2014)
When I turn the key, I can see the starter spinning, but it doesn't engage the engine.
Just replaced the battery (which I thought was the problem), but that hasn't helped.

Added gas to both tanks, to make sure, and checked for loose wires.
I haven't used it in about a month, so it's been sitting a bit.
But I don't know what else to check and don't want to take it in if I can help it.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Jason

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So the starter spins but the gear that engages with the flywheel does not come up and spin the flywheel to turn the motor.
Have I got that right ?

Second question is the machine still under warrantee ?
If so, call the shop you bought it from right now.

Really sounds like a stuck or broken Bendix ( bit that moves the start gear up to engage engine ).
These are hard to do anything with on engine but dead easy to work on once out.
However removing it will most likely void warrantee so you are on the knife edge.

Abrasive10

Forum Newbie
Threads
So the starter spins but the gear that engages with the flywheel does not come up and spin the flywheel to turn the motor.
Have I got that right ?

Second question is the machine still under warrantee ?
If so, call the shop you bought it from right now.

Really sounds like a stuck or broken Bendix ( bit that moves the start gear up to engage engine ).
These are hard to do anything with on engine but dead easy to work on once out.
However removing it will most likely void warrantee so you are on the knife edge.

Yes, you've got that right; your description is exactly what I would have said if I knew what I was talking about. Thanks for that.

And secondly, I'm not sure if it's still on warranty or not, I'll look in a minute. My guess is that it's not.
I'll be calling them tomorrow morning, first thing.

I appreciate the help.
Kind regards,
Jason

turboawd

Threads
try tapping on the starter with a wrench or similar and see if that frees it up.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Kawasaki comes with two different style starters. Don't know what you have without a engine model number. You may have to remove the starter and lube the starter shaft where the bendix slides. Or you may have a starter solenoid problem, depends on what style starter you have? You might also check all your starter electrical cables and wires to make sure you are getting full amperage to your starter.

mhavanti

Threads
Solenoid will either put the voltage and amperage to spin the starter or it won't. So, if the starter motor is spinning at the proper rpm, the starter drive should move outward with centrifugal force to engage the starter drive to the flywheel teeth.

If the drive isn't engaging, as said before, check voltage, amperage draw and if you grease the shaft, you'll most likely have the oil from the grease down to the brushes soon and cause more trouble.

Do check battery leads for corrosion at the solenoid, starter and of course battery terminals.

If you can't get it to engage, remove the starter motor, lay is on a table, attach the negative cable to the starter house flange, then hold the housing with one hand and tap the positive cable to the starter cable lug (be sure to place a nut on the cable lug) and see if it not only spins freely, also to see if the starter drive spins out to the end of the starter shaft.

Good luck.