Factory greasing of spindles

theplayer11

Threads
Well, Ferris Site states:
FYI: the spindles have a large cavity in them for the grease to set into. You will find that it takes a larger amount of grease than everything else on the mower. Spindles should be greased until you confirm grease is pushing out of the weep hole located on the bottom section of the spindle.

So, why doesn't factory grease them fully? Took me 50 pumps to start seeing factory grease come out the weep holes on my new 600Z. I guess I should have checked before first mow, took me 3. There are also 2 zerk fittings under the seat with a bolt directly in front so no way standard fitting will work. Would a needle fitting work there..stick it right into the zerk?

theplayer11

Threads
curious if anyone else who has bought a new Ferris has noticed this..anyone?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Farris is not shorting you grease. Enough is in the spindle to do the job of mowing. They are letting us old timers know that when we grease it for the first time it is going to take a lot to see it ooze out. My check list for all the mowers I have ever bought was to oil, lube, and lubricate everything as if it was not done at the factory. It lets you get to know your machine and will never hurt anything. I have put lots of grease in friends spindles in my time.

Midniteoyl

Threads
You dont have to fill the spindles up with grease.. They come with a certain amount in there already (usually just slathered on the spindle shaft). The ones I have have manuals for all give an 'initial' grease amount (x # of pumps) and then amount per so many hours which is usually less.

theplayer11

Threads
You dont have to fill the spindles up with grease.. They come with a certain amount in there already (usually just slathered on the spindle shaft). The ones I have have manuals for all give an 'initial' grease amount (x # of pumps) and then amount per so many hours which is usually less.

But FAQ on Ferris website states to grease to you see grease coming out of weep hole..that took me 50 pumps per spindle.
If they are saying that on their website, you would think it would come from the factory fully greased.

Midniteoyl

Threads

theplayer11

Threads
Ferris response:
Hello,

Depending if the unit sat awhile before being shipped or sold, the grease can settle. Selling dealer is suppose to and usually does fill the spindles with grease before a consumer takes the product.

Midniteoyl

Threads
Ferris response:
Hello,

Depending if the unit sat awhile before being shipped or sold, the grease can settle. Selling dealer is suppose to and usually does fill the spindles with grease before a consumer takes the product.

Huh.. Never had one filled. Guess this dealer didnt either :)

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is prime example of why I don't like dealers.