EZ Walk drive not working

nbpt100

Threads
I have a Craftsman walk behind that Is called an EZ WALK. It has a variable speed drive where the belt slips to get slower speeds. A pretty common feature on walk behinds. Speed wise I am only getting all or nothing right now. It clutches and then grabs to give full speed. The belt seems ok. It is the original v belt. Part number 183688 (5/16 x 34 5/8). I measured it to be 5/16 x 34 1/8. A bit shorter than the spec on the OEM. I had to drill a new hole to connect the cable end to the pivot mechanism to create enough tension for the belt to grab enough to engage. It seems it is slipping too much or grabs and goes at full speed. Is this solved with a new OEM belt? I do see some vendors xref this belt number to a 3/8 x 34 or 3/8 x 34.5. I have observed that variable speed drives that are designed to slip use a specific material. Not just a conventional rubber that you would get in a common utility belt from the auto parts store.

I am not sure if a new OEM belt will solve this. Or is it some thing else and maybe inherent flaw in the design. It is an older machine. model 917.377844. It uses 2 idler pulleys that pivot to create the belt tension. Ideas?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would start by replacing the belt part number 183688. it may look good, but no ones eyesight is that good. Second, check to see that the tensioner pulleys are in good shape, bearings spin very smooth.

nbpt100

Threads
Thanks, I just noticed I put this in the wrong forum. I will repost in Craftsman forum.