Exmark weak right side hydro

mkranch

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an 06 exmark lazer z 60in. 27 hp. Been having problems with right side hydraulics. In forward and reverse the left overtakes the right. Originally swapped hydro pumps from side to side. original pump on right side I disassembled and found no issues other than little wear on valve plate. Thrust bearing, piston block, rear bearing etc. all looked good and tight. no leaks. Filled with oil and installed that pump on left side. Ck'd all linkage, belt and controls...all seem fine. Installed everything, new exmark hydro filter and exmark hydro oil.
Reclamped all return line hoses and bled system several times. No groaning from any pumps etc. No visible air or foam in reservoir.
release valves inspected and tight.
One thing I did notice with the engine off and the wheels off ground I can spin the right wheel motor by hand forward or reverse quite easily. I cannot spin the left wheel motor at all.
Possible bad wheel motor on right???? Shouldn't that right wheel have resistance, unable to rotate. Seems like the right pump release valve is loose or open...but definitely tight and o-ring seems fine. No leaks either.
I believe I got it bled out as the mower does move except for the left side dominance.
Any help/advice much appreciated!!!!!

chance123

Threads
Bleeding those systems can take a while. If you raise the drive wheels off the ground, start it up (at idle) push both drive control levers forward and let it run. You "should" see that wheel get stronger as the air is purged. The way I check when I am not sure is to put a bi directional flow meter to check the health of the pump. I hope for your sake that the wheel motor is OK as they can be quite pricey. Usually it is the pump that goes first. If you switched pumps, it is important to clean and flush the system with new oil and filter. I once had a wheel motor go out and I removed and replaced it, but the old broken motor left metal debris in the hydro oil which later destroyed the new motor. A very costly mistake on my part.

mkranch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for replying. I worked on many hydro-gear pumps and kind of know what to look for as issues arise.
Have excessively bled out these style mowers and some have been quite a pain. never had to diag a wheel motor yet but looks like I'm need to pick up some hydro tools to track down this problem. this mower has been very well maintained and with 1300 hr.90% still original stuff still performing;
will build up pump and install and go from there. something's gotta give and I hope not some major implosion.
again thank you

Regalia626

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm having the exact same problem. Have you figured it out yet? Anyone have any insight on this?

mz0dw4

Forum Newbie
Threads
I also have experienced issues with the same left hand hydro pump twice. I also noticed that when the back wheels are off the ground that I cant spin the right side, but can spin the left side. Is that normal? If not, what does this indicate, bat wheel motor, or hydro pump, or both are bad? Please help.

Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes it shows one or both are on their way out.
The left side hydros get a lot more trash on them so tend to overheat more than the right

white1j0

Forum Newbie
Threads
I also have experienced issues with the same left hand hydro pump twice. I also noticed that when the back wheels are off the ground that I cant spin the right side, but can spin the left side. Is that normal? If not, what does this indicate, bat wheel motor, or hydro pump, or both are bad? Please help.

Thanks
I have the exact same problem. everything worked fine, until the hydraulic belt broke, I replaced it and now the left side doesn't function properly the mower only has 230hrs on it, did you ever figure out what your problem was, thanks John