eXmark Pioneer S 52 inch, bogging down when PTO is activated.

Ghost in the dark

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / eXmark Pioneer S 52 inch, bogging down when PTO is activated.
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. First off, I bought a new eXmark Pioneer S-series 52 inch mower from a local dealer in VA back in 2014. I've had no problems until this spring, it ran fine last summer and fall when I stored it for the winter. I always put it away with a full tank of 87 octane non ethanol fuel with Stabil and run it for a few minutes. However this year at first start, I noticed there was a slight miss and it would bog down once the PTO was activated and will barely cut the grass or climb a small 5 degree hill in my yard. After checking the usual, spark plugs, proper .030 gap, air filter, damaged hoses, etc and found nothing obvious. I headed to the dealer for a new air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs and a little advice but they just wanted me to bring it in for a shop appointment. It only has 208 hrs on it, all the maintenance is up to date since I bought it and is also garage kept. The last thing I did was drain the fuel tank completely, added fresh non ethanol fuel and ran it for 5 minutes but still no difference. Both belts and tension pulleys look great but it has very little power once I pull the PTO switch, the motor instantly bogs down and struggles to have adequate power when trying to mow. It does not smoke or have any leaks anywhere and does not use any oil. I'm thinking of trying a new belt or both but hate to waste money on a whim idea.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
From what i gather on the net, it has a Kohler CV740 twin cylinder engine. i would check that both cylinders are firing. I would suspect a spark issue.
start it up, remove one spark plug wire at a time. if you remove one and no change in RPM or sound, you found the dead cylinder. if you remove one and it dies, the other cylinder has no spark.
If you can get the model and spec number off of the tag on the engine that will be a help to us,

Last edited:

Ghost in the dark

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the ZT720 Kohler motor or at least that's what on the air breather cover.
Either way, I'll definitely try that this evening after work.
Thanks, I'll respond tomorrow what I find.

Ghost in the dark

Forum Newbie
Threads
After checking for spark yesterday evening, all was good on both sides. Back to the drawing board I guess.

soberdude

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. First off, I bought a new eXmark Pioneer S-series 52 inch mower from a local dealer in VA back in 2014. I've had no problems until this spring, it ran fine last summer and fall when I stored it for the winter. I always put it away with a full tank of 87 octane non ethanol fuel with Stabil and run it for a few minutes. However this year at first start, I noticed there was a slight miss and it would bog down once the PTO was activated and will barely cut the grass or climb a small 5 degree hill in my yard. After checking the usual, spark plugs, proper .030 gap, air filter, damaged hoses, etc and found nothing obvious. I headed to the dealer for a new air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs and a little advice but they just wanted me to bring it in for a shop appointment. It only has 208 hrs on it, all the maintenance is up to date since I bought it and is also garage kept. The last thing I did was drain the fuel tank completely, added fresh non ethanol fuel and ran it for 5 minutes but still no difference. Both belts and tension pulleys look great but it has very little power once I pull the PTO switch, the motor instantly bogs down and struggles to have adequate power when trying to mow. It does not smoke or have any leaks anywhere and does not use any oil. I'm thinking of trying a new belt or both but hate to waste money on a whim idea.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Ghost in the Dark::am curious if youve had any success diagnosing your mower. I have an exmark metro 48 walk behind. now im not a wrencher--an even worse, not much of a routine maintenance guy. this spring several things happened with this mower. most important, the carb began leaking and I then discovered oil in the crank. I therefore decided to basically overhaul the mower and did most of the things you mentioned from a new carb--air filter--gas lines and filter--replaced deck belt and several pulleys--serviced the transmission and changed the grease..flushed the crank with new oil and seafoam to clean it out then more new oil--new blades..so now after firing it up--appears to run well--but as you said, when pto engaged the blades take a really long time to spool up to speed and it has no power at all. wont tolerate heavy grass and completely bogs down. plus I;m still smelling unburnt gas when running. belts all seem well adjusted..so think maybe I have the same problem with a cylinder not firing--but you said yours ended up ok? so did you find out what was wrong? a bit disappointed after all my effort to get this mower back into shape..soberdude

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The carb is clogged or the carb solenoid is clogged preventing it retracting fully
Photo instructions for cleaning the carb are found at outdoorpowerinfo.com/