Exmark Lazer Z wont start

MrJanx

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Lazer Z that has run great for 5 years. Yesterday it wouldnt start just clicking sound when the key is turned. I checked all safety switches and couldnt find any issues. Today I jumped the two bolts on the starter solenoid and the starter spins but the engine doesnt turn over. Is there an obvious fix or next step to check?

allenb4473

Threads
Sounds like the starter isnt engaging. I replaced mine a couple weeks ago and its dead simple. I think it was just one bolt...maybe 2, and the starter drops right out. You might try jumping 12V straight to the starter and see what happens. If it just spins freely the either the teeth on the starter are shot or the gear isnt popping up.

MrJanx

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like the starter isnt engaging. I replaced mine a couple weeks ago and its dead simple. I think it was just one bolt...maybe 2, and the starter drops right out. You might try jumping 12V straight to the starter and see what happens. If it just spins freely the either the teeth on the starter are shot or the gear isnt popping up.

when i jump across the two big bolts which are 12V and ground, I hear it spinning but not engaging the starter. Does that mean the little piggyback solenoid is bad or the starter itself?

MrJanx

Forum Newbie
Threads

I did some more testing and the yellow wire that goes to the small terminal on the starter solenoid doesnt have power at any key position. What is responsible to power this wire?

MrJanx

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did some more testing and the yellow wire that goes to the small terminal on the starter solenoid doesnt have power at any key position. What is responsible to power this wire?

not sure of the year

Kohler 27

LZ27KC605 MODEL

531840 SERIAL

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
not sure of the year

Kohler 27

LZ27KC605 MODEL

531840 SERIAL

http://www.exmark.com/pdfs/103-7210.PDF Wiring schematic page 47 shows orange/black stripe wire from start relay to starter solenoid. Yellow wire from ignition switch to start relay. Back trace wire from starter solenoid and you will find start relay, check relay.

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
I was thinking of the relay as well. Should I just replace it?
No, I would check relay with multimeter. Look at sears, etc. online and purchase an inexpensive multimeter, instructions included, and check relay. This tool will serve you well for years to come verses just changing out parts.
Multimeter from Sears.com