Engine won't start--I've think I've tried everything...

cngizbleevng

Threads
  • / Engine won't start--I've think I've tried everything...
I've got a Kohler Pro V-twin 27 hp engine in my Craftsman DGT-6000 riding mower.

It's been sitting for a while, and I finally got around to trying to get it started.

I can spray starting fluid in the carb and it starts right up but only runs for a few seconds and dies.

If I try to start it normally, the engine just cranks but doesn't fire up.

I've soaked the carburetor in carb cleaner fluid for 15 minutes (I didn't disassemble it though, so I'm not sure the fluid was able to get into every crevice).

I've replaced hoses, fuel pump, and fuel filter. Fuel does flow through all the lines when the engine is cranked.

Any other suggestions?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are going to have the carb properly cleaned and rebuilt. Trying to clean it without tearing it down is a waste of time.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Triple ditto.
I usually just snip the plunger arm off of the solenoid.... I run a few engines that don't have em, they never back fire after shutdown.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Carb is dirty quadruple ditto. You can't spray cleaner down the throat of the carb and hope the INSIDES get clean.

Use real gas and Stabil year round. Never have this issue again.

Like Luffydog and Scrubcadet10 said, possible carb solenoid.

The "it's been sitting for a while" tells me the carb is plugged up with dead fuel. Most likely some good ol' E10 junk gas.

slomo

cngizbleevng

Threads
Thanks, guys. I'll do a more thorough job with the carb and check into the solenoid if that doesn't do it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Cleaning a carburetor with the dip cleaner require a complete break of the carburetor removing all rubber parts. This why many of us techs have switched over to ultrasonics for cleaning with soap and water.

As for using the dip cleaner it will take several hours to do it job. Fifteen minutes is no where enough time. When I used it to soak carbs, it was usually overnight. Now that I use ultrasonic cleaner it is 30-90 minutes on most carburetors and you don't need to fully break the carburetor though some disassembly is required. Of course extra dirty carburetors takes longer.

Also those fuel solenoid are cleanable in ultrasonics. Most will cleanup nicely but there is also those that don't, still worth trying considering the cost of these solenoids.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’ve never used a dip cleaner or ultrasound cleaner for nearly the length of time StarTech does and 99% of the time have no problems. When using an ultrasound cleaner my time is 8 minutes, with the temp at 45 degrees C, using SimpleGreen as my agent. If I use a dip cleaner, the max time I use is 3 hours. Different strokes for different folks.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I do not own an ultra sonic cleaner. Watched several videos on them, big ones for car engine cylinder heads. From small to big dirty part, seemed like they still required more cleaning. Maybe you guys have good luck with them. I was never impressed enough to get one.

Now if was are talking about a real parts washer, as in the wife's dish washer, I'm sold. Put that sucker on pot scrub cycle and look out. You need sunglasses when the carb body comes out. There's no need to redunk for more minutes here LOL.

slomo