Engine wont cold start w/o starting fluid, fine otherwise: Kohler courage 24hp

roaulduke

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Engine wont cold start w/o starting fluid, fine otherwise: Kohler courage 24hp
Hi all,

I have a Craftsman zeroturn with a Kohler Courage 24HP v-twin with 17 hours on it. (I know, Courage to buy one...) ITs on a Craftsman 54" zero turn which is the same mover as the Cub Cadet ZTR zero turn...

Starting:
Cold: just cranks, no start. Cold could be anywhere from 80f-50f ambient so far.
Warm start: no problem
Idle: perfect
Running: perfect
Mowing: perfect
Oil: fresh
Fuel: fresh

So to start it cold I take the air filter off, shoot on shot of starting fluid in it and it starts up and runs perfectly.

Anyone want to guess why this is? Thank you so much for any help you can give.

Last edited:

cashman

Threads
  • / Engine wont cold start w/o starting fluid, fine otherwise: Kohler courage 24hp
Check to make sure that your throttle control is fully closing the choke plate in the carb?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes I agree with checking the choke first and if that is working OK you might want to check if your fuel pump is hold prime.

roaulduke

Forum Newbie
Threads
The intake has a bend in it on this engine, should I be able to see the choke plate?

If I can't see it, would a decent check of the plate be to:
1. put the lever all the way on choke.
2. see if I can rotate it more where the linkage connects?

I don't know how to test the fuel pump for prime. Is it easy to do?

I think it may have sat for 90 days with fuel in it before I got it. Short of taking the carb apart or paying someone to clean it, is it worth trying a seafoam type product?

Thanks for your time.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Loosen the choke linkage and make sure that the choke is closing all of the way, then retighten.

roaulduke

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK! Thanks!

As Cashman thought the choke plate doesnt close all the way when the lever is fully forward. I can rotate the plate the linkage connects to another cm, manually, with the lever all the way on choke and indeed, it chokes when I do that.

I don't thing the linkage can be adjusted at the bottom and didnt take the plastic shrouds off to look at the top.

Will I need a service manual to find out how to adjust it?

roaulduke

Forum Newbie
Threads
Seems like I need to adjust the "choke control cable"?

Page 21 of the engine service manual http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/sm_32_690_01.pdf

Shows two cable clamps... one is connected to "H" the choke control cable... is this where I make the adjustment? Loosen the clamp, adjust, tighten it back up?

cashman

Threads
Place the throttle control all the way into the choke zone and loosen the throttle cable and move it to where the choke lever won't close the choke plate any further.

roaulduke

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks! I will tonight. I really appreciate your help.

roaulduke

Forum Newbie
Threads
Place the throttle control all the way into the choke zone and loosen the throttle cable and move it to where the choke lever won't close the choke plate any further.

This worked perfectly! One cm adjustment and its perfect. Thanks again, I would have been looking for the nonexistant choke cable for quite some time...