Engine Test Stand

Texas Lawn Ranger

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everybody. Has anyone put together an engine test stand made up of scrap materials? I was thinking of using an old riding mower frame, cutting of the front end. I would like to hear from the others for ideas.

Sincerely,

Texas Lawn Ranger

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Being a retired instructor I have built many of them, best design uses wood. We call them toilet seats. I use two different sizes, one about 16” square and the other about 24” square. The bases are made using 4x4 stock and the tops are 3/4-1” plywood. The reason I use 4x4 stock for the base, it gives me a good solid stand to mount and run an engine on and because it is over engineered it doesn’t move around much. After you have nailed or screwed the five parts together, drill or cut a three inch hole in the top, to stick the crankshaft through. You will have to drill 1/2” mounting holes the first time you use it. When not in use it only takes up 5” of space when tipped on its side. Just another option.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Being a repairer I have piles of old ride ons that are not economical to repair.
The older ones used an engine plate between real frame rails so I just welded 2 of them together to make a mounting plate.
This plate is stiff enough to be held between the jaws of a Triton Super Jaws vice.
Prior to the Triton, I used one of those portable work benches where the table is a clamp.
Just make sure you have some heavy weights on the legs or you bolt it down because with the weight up so high they have a tendency to topple when throttling the engine up.

Texas Lawn Ranger

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to get started on using those ideas, see which one works best for me.