Engine oil for Honda HRN 216 VKA Push Mower

sp80

Threads
Honda recommends 10w30 SJ or higher engine oil. The new Honda Power Equipment oil is 10w30 SN. I am concerned that SN (low zinc) oil may not protect my new OHV engine. The mower is used in hot, humid, South Louisiana. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

sp80

Threads
I have read the manual. Honda changed it's 10w30 to SN, which normally indicates a low ZDDP. I am currently using the Honda 10w30 engine oil. Honda does not list the technical data for the oil. I am wondering if the oil will protect the engine in the hot summer or if an engine oil with more zddp is needed. Thanks for your response.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Honda recommends 10w30 SJ or higher engine oil. The new Honda Power Equipment oil is 10w30 SN. I am concerned that SN (low zinc) oil may not protect my new OHV engine.
Why are you concerned when Honda is happy with it? They made the engine and know what type oil to use.

I haven't seen any real evidence that zinc does anything in engine oil. Zinc is only an additive. Has nothing to do with the base oil. Most likely a sales gimmick to get you to buy zinc oil. Zinc has been stripped out for decades now. All these new cars and trucks with hot turbos and such are running fine with no zinc. Unless your mower orbits planet Earth, I wouldn't worry about it. You can take used oil from your car and run it in your mower.

sp80

Threads
Why are you concerned when Honda is happy with it? They made the engine and know what type oil to use.

I haven't seen any real evidence that zinc does anything in engine oil. Zinc is only an additive. Has nothing to do with the base oil. Most likely a sales gimmick to get you to buy zinc oil. Zinc has been stripped out for decades now. All these new cars and trucks with hot turbos and such are running fine with no zinc.
You may not be aware of the auto engine problems associated with newer turbos some manufacturers are experiencing and the subsequent change in API engine oil requirements from SN to SP to assist manufacturers with the problem. That is another discussion for another day, What engine oil do use in your air cooled lawn mower engines? Briggs and other air cooled manufacturers are still using engine oil containing higher levels of zddp. B&S conventional SAE 30 and 5w30 Synthetic synthetic oil are rated SJ and advertise the higher zinc content on the containers. Zddp has been reduced to protect catalytic converters which small air cooled engines do not have.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So you think we know more than the engineers at Honda ?
Honda are probably the most brand name conscious business on the planet
They exited the ride on market rather than downgrade their products to the price that retailers demanded
And it is a lawnmower not a top fuel drag car.
The engine is running at a very lazy 3200 rpm so the stress on the cam followers is 5/8 of SFA
I stopped deciding I knew better than engine designers by the time I was around 20.
Down here in OZ I use 10W 40 mower oil in all Honda products as we average 30+ C for 1/2 the year
Depending which wholesaler I get it from it will either be Honda 10w 40 or Kawasaki 10w 40 .

Next to printing ink , oil is probably the most complicates liquid the average man comes in contact with .
Oil engineering requires a decade of tertiary education yet every fool looks at a couple of you tube videos and suddenly they consider themselves some sort of experts

sp80

Threads
You may not be aware of the auto engine problems associated with newer turbos some manufacturers are experiencing and the subsequent change in API engine oil requirements from SN to SP to assist manufacturers with the problem. That is another discussion for another day, What engine oil do use in your air cooled lawn mower engines? Briggs and other air cooled manufacturers are still using engine oil containing higher levels of zddp. B&S conventional SAE 30 and 5w30 Synthetic synthetic oil are rated SJ and advertise the higher zinc content on the containers. Zddp has been reduced to protect catalytic converters which small air cooled engines do not have.
I will call Honda Dealer in am as they are closed Sunday & Monday.
I will call Honda Dealer in am as they are closed Sunday & Monday.
If I lived in a cooler climate, I would not be concerned. Thank you.

sp80

Threads
So you think we know more than the engineers at Honda ?
Honda are probably the most brand name conscious business on the planet
They exited the ride on market rather than downgrade their products to the price that retailers demanded
And it is a lawnmower not a top fuel drag car.
The engine is running at a very lazy 3200 rpm so the stress on the cam followers is 5/8 of SFA
I stopped deciding I knew better than engine designers by the time I was around 20.
Down here in OZ I use 10W 40 mower oil in all Honda products as we average 30+ C for 1/2 the year
Depending which wholesaler I get it from it will either be Honda 10w 40 or Kawasaki 10w 40 .

Next to printing ink , oil is probably the most complicates liquid the average man comes in contact with .
Oil engineering requires a decade of tertiary education yet every fool looks at a couple of you tube videos and suddenly they consider themselves some sort of expert.
I am obviously not an oil expert, however I am interested in protecting my new Honda engine. I am interested in opinions from other Honda lawn mower owners who are operating in warmer climates.. Thanks for your input.