Engine locked !

sheenist

Threads
Had an unusual incident the other day with my 28" Snapper RER. I went to start it to drive it out of the shop, but when I hit the start, it turned over about 1/2 turn and locked. Thought at first I had starter problems, but when removed and tested, it would spin just fine. Removed spark plug and tried turning the engine over and still locked. Pulled the head to see if something on top of piston, everything looked good there. Then pulled engine of the mower and removed the crankcase cover and looked to see if rod broke. Everything was good there. Finally, removed the flywheel and there it was. Some of the magnets in the alternator had come loose and jammed into the alternator coils. I removed the rest of the magnets and chucked the flywheel up in the lathe and removed the epoxy and also removed the damaged alternator coils and put the engine back together and re-installed the engine in the mower. Runs like a new one. I did not replace the charging system, will just have to charge the battery once in a while.A new flywheel (with magnets ) and a new alternator coil system would have cost close to $300.00 and not worth it. Odd things do happen!
Sheenist

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Glad to hear you found your issue. Sounds like a proper repair. Glad to have you in the Snapper forum. Take pictures and post them up here please.

slomo

sheenist

Threads
I did take a couple of pics of the inside of the flywheel and the alternator coils. Not sure how to post pics, but will try tonite or tomorrow. Does anyone have any tips on how to post pics here?
Sheenist

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Where you type in the message box, in the center is insert image.

slomo

Last edited:

keakar

Threads
Had an unusual incident the other day with my 28" Snapper RER. I went to start it to drive it out of the shop, but when I hit the start, it turned over about 1/2 turn and locked. Thought at first I had starter problems, but when removed and tested, it would spin just fine. Removed spark plug and tried turning the engine over and still locked. Pulled the head to see if something on top of piston, everything looked good there. Then pulled engine of the mower and removed the crankcase cover and looked to see if rod broke. Everything was good there. Finally, removed the flywheel and there it was. Some of the magnets in the alternator had come loose and jammed into the alternator coils. I removed the rest of the magnets and chucked the flywheel up in the lathe and removed the epoxy and also removed the damaged alternator coils and put the engine back together and re-installed the engine in the mower. Runs like a new one. I did not replace the charging system, will just have to charge the battery once in a while.A new flywheel (with magnets ) and a new alternator coil system would have cost close to $300.00 and not worth it. Odd things do happen!
Sheenist
just ask around, someone who fixes lawnmowers will have a flywheel you could buy for like $20 unless they are a crook.

they hardly ever need replacing so they get scrapped for scrap metal rather then saved as spare parts, i just keep 2 of each style because of different timing

sheenist

Threads
just ask around, someone who fixes lawnmowers will have a flywheel you could buy for like $20 unless they are a crook.

they hardly ever need replacing so they get scrapped for scrap metal rather then saved as spare parts, i just keep 2 of each style because of different timing
Sounds like a plan. Will check around my area. Thanks