Engine fails when using reverse with a hydrostatic transmission.

David0000

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Engine fails when using reverse with a hydrostatic transmission.
My John Deere L110 (circa 2003) drives forward fine, but the engine starts to stall when trying to reverse (particularly backing up hill). Could this be a problem with having 18 year old transmission fluid? I bought the tractor second hand (it wouldn't run at all when purchased), and don't know its history. It needs some tuning, which may also be causing the problem with reversing. Has any one else experienced this?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the blades are on then that is the reverse lock out kicking in or the "Mow in Reverse" over ride failing

Zuke

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the blades are on then that is the reverse lock out kicking in or the "Mow in Reverse" over ride failing
I agree he doesn’t say if he was mowing. I to would assume that he is. Besides the switches you pointed out, there is the ignition type setup that you need to turn the key back one place to allow for mowing backwards.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
remove the blower shroud on the engine, and pull the kill wire off of the coil. try it out. if it still faulters, there is a different issue. if not, there is a switch issue, like Bert mentioned.

David0000

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all the replies. The blades are not engaged, and I am just trying to back it into my carport, typically. The model's specs are:
Kohler Command 17.5 engine
Family 3KHXS.4902GB
DISPLACEMENT 490CC
MODEL NO. CV491S
SPEC NO. 27509
SERIAL NO. 33........
Tractor is a John Deere L110
Some additional history of this tractor:
I have found some ground wire connections (on the solenoid and off the voltage regulator) that did not match the pictures I have seen of this model. The solenoid wire was restored to the correct layout, and I moved the regulator ground wire from the throttle bracket assembly to the engine block (the other end was, and still is, connected to the left side screw holding the regulator to the engine), but I can't find this on any diagrams, and it may not be necessary. Also, the governor had been disabled and a second throttle cable installed to omit the governor. I have also returned this back as per the Kohler diagrams (file:///H:/Mower%20-%20John%20Deere%20L110/Kohler%20Engine%20Manual.pdf). It definitely needs some tuning after these adjustments and replacements, but I have tried to follow the Kohler instructions for governor and carburettor tuning to get to the basic starting point, and it does start and run (at least forward).
One further query: the Kohler service manual I listed appears to be one year short of my model. Does anyone know if there is another version that caters for the 2003 onwards models?
Tune up and reverse are my two issues.
My wife's two issues are she thinks it is too noisy and has a bad smell when it it runs. These might be related, or not.

Gord Baker

Threads
Be sure to turn off the blades or push the button when reversing.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Firstly as it is a JD there is no excuse for you not buying the JD Technical Manual.
The digital down load is about 1 to 2 hours of a techs charge out fees so well worth the money
If it runs fine forward & cuts out in reverse it has to be a failure of the MIR lock out or a loose wire that grounds out onto the drive controls when in reverse
The reverse switch is mounted around the transmission and usually engaged by the control arm on the transmission
Sounds like the DPO probably tried to disable it and made a mess of the job
You usually have to pull the rear wheel off to get good access to the reverse switch and while you are there, grease the axel to prevent the wheel rusting solid to it .

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
Thanks for all the replies. The blades are not engaged, and I am just trying to back it into my carport, typically. The model's specs are:
Kohler Command 17.5 engine
Family 3KHXS.4902GB
DISPLACEMENT 490CC
MODEL NO. CV491S
SPEC NO. 27509
SERIAL NO. 33........
Tractor is a John Deere L110
Some additional history of this tractor:
I have found some ground wire connections (on the solenoid and off the voltage regulator) that did not match the pictures I have seen of this model. The solenoid wire was restored to the correct layout, and I moved the regulator ground wire from the throttle bracket assembly to the engine block (the other end was, and still is, connected to the left side screw holding the regulator to the engine), but I can't find this on any diagrams, and it may not be necessary. Also, the governor had been disabled and a second throttle cable installed to omit the governor. I have also returned this back as per the Kohler diagrams (file:///H:/Mower%20-%20John%20Deere%20L110/Kohler%20Engine%20Manual.pdf). It definitely needs some tuning after these adjustments and replacements, but I have tried to follow the Kohler instructions for governor and carburettor tuning to get to the basic starting point, and it does start and run (at least forward).
One further query: the Kohler service manual I listed appears to be one year short of my model. Does anyone know if there is another version that caters for the 2003 onwards models?
Tune up and reverse are my two issues.
My wife's two issues are she thinks it is too noisy and has a bad smell when it it runs. These might be related, or not.
CAUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Governor and throttle must be correct or you blow up your engine. Do not guess at this. Do not cob it. Fix it before even starting it or risk high speed devasting failure in less than 3 seconds.