Engine bogging down

Elpea

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the add.
I have a Grasshopper 125 52” mower that throtles ok, tho when mowing 4” grass it continually “ bogs” down.
Anyone else having an issue with theirs?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the add.
I have a Grasshopper 125 52” mower that throtles ok, tho when mowing 4” grass it continually “ bogs” down.
Anyone else having an issue with theirs?
Only grass I see that needs to be cut at 4" is tall Fescue. Most all others are 2" and under in my area.

Recommend cutting more often.

slomo

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well is OP trying to cut off 4" or mow at 4"? And if at 4" how is the OP trying to cut at a time. It can simply be deck overload. Here it is hard to cut wet heavy than dry grass. Here I am having to cut grass that is near 6" high plus seed heads. When wet the Hustler Fastrak 54" just clogs up when it is damp but cuts it fine with a little slow down as it still can overload the deck at times. It does needs larger engine than the 20 hp it has but that is what came on it.

Now my Yard Machines 42 has no problem cutting it when dry but it has upgraded engine ( was 16.5 hp, now 21 hp) and heavy duty 5/8 deck belt. I actually mow waist high grass with it at about 1/3 of full travel speed.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Welcome to the forum!
I'm going to move this thread over to our Grasshopper section.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Dull blades
Never balanced blades
Slipping belts
Poor running engine
Running too fast for conditions which MOST 0-turns do all the time
Wet grass as StarTech said
Dirty engine block and cooling fins
Driving with the choke on
Plugged air filter

No way of telling what is going on with this mower. Post a video of it cutting grass on youtube and link it here.

slomo