Engaging blades kills engine

CharlesHowse

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, Charles from TN here.
My Ariens A21AH2 is giving me a big headache. Several years ago I disabled the seat safety switch and it ran perfectly for a long time.
A week or so ago I replaced the drive belt. No problems with the routing, just took a little while.

My grandson was mowing 2 days ago and suddenly the blades quit spinning, and the motor started backfiring and missing, and finally quit.
Apparently, in the time between disabling the seat switch and 2 days ago, the cable from the seat switch (which I had tucked into the battery compartment) had slipped out of there and down into the belt and gears just below, and was cut and mangled, connector and wires both gone.
There's nothing wrong with the belt or deck, I disconnected the belt to double-check., but the engaging the blades kills the engine.
Got's to be related to a safety switch, I'd say.

I assume that's the issue with the blades not starting, what's left of the seat switch is sending a ground to the magneto as a safety measure.

I've been on YouTube all day yesterday and today, and haven't found a fix.
How can I verify and repair/disable this issue?

Thanks,
Charles

Born2Mow

Threads
No one here is going to help you defeat safety measures that help protect young and innocent operators like your grandson. Most any profession your grandson might dream of, from policeman to surgeon, would be completely ended by the loss of just 2 fingers. And mower accidents happen to children almost 25 times every day.

Try reading some of the stats on this web page.... https://www.whackyourweeds.com/lawn-mower-accident-statistics/

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Charles,
With all due respect & not trying to be agressive .

We are here to help people with their lawn equipment to make their lives easier
Not to assist people injuring themselves or others .
IF you want assistance then please just answer the questions.
As a rule no one here will tell any one how to bypass the mowers safety system .
The logic behind this is if you do not have sufficient understanding about how the system works then you should not be trying to dissable it .

There is NEVER a justified reason to disable a seat switch .
I do not agree with the reasoning behind most of the safety devices and firmly believe that people should be allowed to chop their fingers off , loose hands & feet .
Then everyone would know that a mower is a dangerous tool & not a toy for the kids to play with because everyone would know some one missing a lump of their anatomy.
See I believe in evolution so idiots should suffer the consequences of their own stupidity and the inferiour should be allowed to perish .

The only problem is it is often the innocent who end up suffering, like the children who side of dads / grandads lap then put a foot on top of the pulley cause the guard has been removed then have the belts & pulleys rip their bare foot to bits.

From what you have written I for one imagine that your grandson is less than the 40 kg ( or there abouts ) needed to trip the seat switch or is so short that he has to sit on the very edge of the seat in order to reach the pedals
In either case it is unsafe for him to be operating the mower.
Down here farmers can get 5 years gaol and / or loose custody of their children if a child under 12 is allowed to operate any piece of farm equipment.
And they are seriously talking about extending this to quad bikes & motorcycles due to the number of kids under 12 seriously injured or killed using this gear every year.
This has already been done for horse riding.
A child ( under 12 ) must have a proper fitting childs saddle & must always be within the sight of a responsible adult when on a horse .

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
1.Fix ALL of the safety switches. Put the machine back like it was off the dealers floor.

This one, accidentally backed over with mower. Blades are supposed to disengage in REVERSE.

slomo

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
We would need the 9-11 digit model from the serial number tag to even look up the equipment. I only found three cross link models with the A21AH2 desingnation and I don't know if either one of the is even the right one.

936073 (960460054-00) 42" Automatic Tractor
936073 (960460054-01) 42" Automatic Tractor
936073 (960460054-02) 42" Automatic Tractor

All three of the above uses the same rear harness. Ariens PN 21548384 (Husqvarna PN 532400449) and it is relative low cost depend which one you purchase and install. At https://www.searspartsdirect.com it is only $20 plus shipping currently.
1624879609035.png

Born2Mow

Threads
Charles,
With all due respect & not trying to be aggressive.
You think I'm aggressive, just wait until DFACS knocks on your door with the police in tow. Those people are more aggressive than the IRS. I know, I used to work with them.

All I'm asking is that you re-think your safety measures for the sake of your grandson. Not my grandson, YOURS.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You think I'm aggressive, just wait until DFACS knocks on your door with the police in tow. Those people are more aggressive than the IRS. I know, I used to work with them.

All I'm asking is that you re-think your safety measures for the sake of your grandson. Not my grandson, YOURS.
Apparently they have never heard of me killing and BBQ one of my kids here in Tennessee but of course it is just poopulation control. Yes I said poopulation control as I get tired of all their poop. And I got a BBQ schedule for the 4th so I just now trying to fiqure which kid it is going the be this year.

Last edited:

qmark

Threads
Charles,
With all due respect & not trying to be agressive .

We are here to help people with their lawn equipment to make their lives easier
Not to assist people injuring themselves or others .
IF you want assistance then please just answer the questions.
As a rule no one here will tell any one how to bypass the mowers safety system .
The logic behind this is if you do not have sufficient understanding about how the system works then you should not be trying to dissable it .

There is NEVER a justified reason to disable a seat switch .
I do not agree with the reasoning behind most of the safety devices and firmly believe that people should be allowed to chop their fingers off , loose hands & feet .
Then everyone would know that a mower is a dangerous tool & not a toy for the kids to play with because everyone would know some one missing a lump of their anatomy.
See I believe in evolution so idiots should suffer the consequences of their own stupidity and the inferiour should be allowed to perish .

The only problem is it is often the innocent who end up suffering, like the children who side of dads / grandads lap then put a foot on top of the pulley cause the guard has been removed then have the belts & pulleys rip their bare foot to bits.

From what you have written I for one imagine that your grandson is less than the 40 kg ( or there abouts ) needed to trip the seat switch or is so short that he has to sit on the very edge of the seat in order to reach the pedals
In either case it is unsafe for him to be operating the mower.
Down here farmers can get 5 years gaol and / or loose custody of their children if a child under 12 is allowed to operate any piece of farm equipment.
And they are seriously talking about extending this to quad bikes & motorcycles due to the number of kids under 12 seriously injured or killed using this gear every year.
This has already been done for horse riding.
A child ( under 12 ) must have a proper fitting childs saddle & must always be within the sight of a responsible adult when on a horse .
Where are you with these rules?