Ended up with a LawnBoy 8481AE Aluminum Deck, Self Propelled, Electric Start

Joe Kuhn

Threads
  • / Ended up with a LawnBoy 8481AE Aluminum Deck, Self Propelled, Electric Start
Traded a hardly used, basic push mower for this antique. Never had an LB before although I have worked on my friend's. Put in fresh gas (50:1), a little starter spray and hooked it up to my 12V battery charger. It started, but smoked a ton, eventually clearing and then I cut some grass with it. Self propelled feature does indeed work.

1626789429558.png

Curious there is no pull cord for starting. That handle is begging to be shortened behind the rear wheels (will not do). Catcher bag is long gone.

Last edited:

Joe Kuhn

Threads
  • / Ended up with a LawnBoy 8481AE Aluminum Deck, Self Propelled, Electric Start
Ordered a new battery that is slightly larger than the box in one dimension. I think I can make it work with some washers and longer bolts.

1626798138299.png

Last edited:

Joe Kuhn

Threads
Spark plug was loose - and it still ran! Fixed that and replaced one of the handle bolts at the wheel mount. Handle is more upright now after adjusting/tightening. All simple and it's ready for some action. The wheels have grease zerks. Now where is that grease gun?

1626817129151.png

FuzzyDriver

Threads
How well does this work without the bag to catch the grass? If you have the door open, doesn't it shoot the grass right at you? I parted out one of these last fall because I didn't have the bag and, without the bag, the handle is (to me anyway) embarrassing.

Joe Kuhn

Threads
How well does this work without the bag to catch the grass? If you have the door open, doesn't it shoot the grass right at you? I parted out one of these last fall because I didn't have the bag and, without the bag, the handle is (to me anyway) embarrassing.
I've mowed some with the door closed which worked fine. Even w a bag I don't understand the handle design because of so many other brands that allow the bag to go back past the handle. It is goofy. I'd cut a section out and re-weld it, but then all the cables would need shortening the same amount. Oh well.

Last edited:

dougmacm

Threads
The 8481AE was built between 1986 and 1988.

Why L-B decided to build a 20" Deck Commercial Mower is beyond me.

I've got the same basic mower but non-commercial, it is a 8125 built in 1984. Main difference is on mine the drive is actuated similar to the old capstan drive where a short section of top handle bar is swung forward about 90Deg to drive & pull back to stop.

The actuation on this later model you have is really strange ... I've seen pictures of it before and there are instructions for how to adjust it in the Suburban Service Manual, but never seen one in person.

I did find a new bag and a mulch plug for this 8125 on ebay a few years back.

1984-8125-4.JPG

Joe Kuhn

Threads
Cleaned the main jet with a spun wire cleaner and it starts right away now. Surges some at an idle, but runs evenly at the top end.

1627156871739.png

Adjusted the drive cable so it moves sooner when you push on the handle, cleaned the plug, sharpened the blade. All ready to go except for the battery. Still waiting on that. I like this mower. Does a nice even job.

2smoked

Threads
Models with that type of handle design were known as “school bus” models because they were like trying to maneuver a long school bus in tight places. I suppose the real purpose was to allow easier cutting under thick hedges. They are not a favorite of mine, but hey, it’s a classic 2 stroke Lawn Boy that runs and operates.

Joe Kuhn

Threads
Battery came, so I installed it. Before I did I checked the voltage coming back out of the machine while it's running and it's 45 volts. Will have to check Amp hours coming back out as well...

Last edited:

Joe Kuhn

Threads
Models with that type of handle design were known as “school bus” models because they were like trying to maneuver a long school bus in tight places. I suppose the real purpose was to allow easier cutting under thick hedges. They are not a favorite of mine, but hey, it’s a classic 2 stroke Lawn Boy that runs and operates.
Just might shorten that part of the handle eventually. It is tough to turn in the tight spots. Thanks for your note.