Electrical Poltergeist - 60" Exmark LZ27KC604, SN 483071

kenwat

Threads
  • / Electrical Poltergeist - 60" Exmark LZ27KC604, SN 483071
This will likely be scattered and sound crazy but here goes..for several years my mower will occasionally bog down like it is running on one cylinder (verified that is what was happening). I'd just sit there for up to a few minutes and it would rev back up to normal. While running in the bogged down stated, I unplugged on spark plug wire and nothing changed. Plugged that one back and unplugged the other and it died so I thought the coil was the problem and replaced it. Still does it. Sometimes it is the coil I replaced and sometimes it is the other coil. Perhaps completely unrelated but here are a couple other strange, to me, conditions. Sometimes when I crank it up it will try to go dead as I release the brake. Driver arms' switches are working because if I try to pull one of them in with the brake on it tries to go dead. Over the course of the next few seconds to few minutes, I reach down to release the brake and it doesn't die but acts as normal. Sometimes I'll be riding along and bam...it just goes dead. Normally cranks right back up. The seat safety switch is removed with wires twisted and in a butt connector. SOMETIMES...I get on it and run a tank of gas out without any issues at all..but that is becoming less and less often. Been chasing this for a good long time and have had it serviced twice at a few hundred dollars and they said that they didn't see a problem...which I guess I can understand as it is (was) so intermittent. I've been around maintenance for some time and if it ain't broke when you look at it...it is hard to fix. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
What are the model numbers/etc. off of the engine?

kenwat

Threads
I'll have to check in the morning. I know it is a Kohler and I am pretty sure it is 27 hp. Thank you!!

geelee

Threads
if it is a 27 hp replace the coils with 25 707 03-s coil kit, it will replace the 3 wire or 2 wire with sam coil systems. follow instructions with kit. cost is about 100 to 110 dollars. as per the sudden shut shut down if you still have the tilt sensor mounted next to battery bypass it. can also be the seat delay module. with set bypassed you don't need it, pull the brown plug off the module unplug the other end of module and hook the 2 together bypassing module.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Intermittent electrical problem. First thing and cheapest is to replace the control lever switches and the brake switch(s). If that doesn't fix it then replace the relays. Still having probs see if it has the DSAI ignition. If it does replace it with MDI kit. The 25 707 03s kit is the MDI kit not ASAM. You need to check your engine numbers for what kit you would need to convert to MDI ignition.
It really sounds like you have 2 problems. Bad breke switch or relay and the notorious kohler DASI ignition crapping out.

geelee

Threads
dont replace lever switches, its suppose to shut down with brake on and levers pulled in. brake switch or relay is very rare. really only the seat switch circuit will shut it down. tilt sensor and seat delay module are part of it. i work for the 2nd largest east coast exmark dealer . ive been doing it a long time

kenwat

Threads
dont replace lever switches, its suppose to shut down with brake on and levers pulled in. brake switch or relay is very rare. really only the seat switch circuit will shut it down. tilt sensor and seat delay module are part of it. i work for the 2nd largest east coast exmark dealer . ive been doing it a long time
Sometimes when I crank it, with steering handles out, it will go dead when I let the brake off. Over several minutes I keep trying to let the brake off (with it trying to go dead each time) and then suddenly it doesn't go dead and off I go.

geelee

Threads
if you already bypassed tilt sensor and seat delay module try brake switch or kill relay. but the tilt and delay mod can cause the same problem. most likely the tilt sensor.

kenwat

Threads
if you already bypassed tilt sensor and seat delay module try brake switch or kill relay. but the tilt and delay mod can cause the same problem. most likely the tilt sensor.
Only have seat switch bypassed at the moment. Going to try to figure out how to bypass the tilt and delay Thur when I work off. Thanks for the advice!!

Last edited:

kenwat

Threads
Could use some info on tilt sensor and how to bypass it. Thanks