Electrical Drain

llowe22

Forum Newbie
Threads
2010 Lazer, 54" deck. Seem to have some sort of electrical drain as battery needs recharging every two months or so, even when used weekly during the summer. Also, I have excess battery acid around both terminals I constantly have t remove. This does not happen on my other mowers. Any help would be appreciated.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
How old is the battery. And with the engine running at full speed what is the voltage at the battery terminals.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Good questions as it might be overcharging. This needs to be rule out before replacing the battery but the battery does need to be replaced because of the leakage.

Also using a voltmeter put one lead on either the positive or negative and take the other lead touch the battery case in various places if you get a voltage reading you have an electrically leaky battery case. I have personally seen this multiple times over the years. What it is, is that the plastic case become conductive.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Good questions as it might be overcharging. This needs to be rule out before replacing the battery but the battery does need to be replaced because of the leakage.

Also using a voltmeter put one lead on either the positive or negative and take the other lead touch the battery case in various places if you get a voltage reading you have an electrically leaky battery case. I have personally seen this multiple times over the years. What it is, is that the plastic case become conductive.
I thought I was the only one that see this on occation.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
IL, I got that experience back in the late 70's with my Chrysler 300. I was having to charge it every Sunday so I could go to work. Since I was the mechanic went on the hunt for the problem.

I have ever since do this test on any battery is being drained and I have several over the years.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
First one that comes to mind for me was the battery on my tractor that was 6 months old at the time. Turn the key on, all dash lights would come on, but would loose all power when turned to start. Connect the charger to the battery, turn it on, and immediately off like within 5 seconds and the tractor would start for a week. Find 12 volts escaping through the case and had a shorted cell. batter would even pass load testing. Finally got warranty to replace the battery after it wouldn't start one day and immediate took the battery out and had it tested at the battery dealer.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I learned something new today. Guess you’re never too old.

llowe22

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks to all for the responses. Had to replace the battery - even after full charge, would not even turn over mower engine. Battery was about two years old - but I was always cleaning acid off terminals. This time when I installed it I used Permatex on both terminals. Will see if this helps. Again, thanks - will keep you posted.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Make sure that you check the voltage at the battery with the engine running. If you have an overcharge problem it can cause the new battery to have acid issues also.

llowe22

Forum Newbie
Threads
Make sure that you check the voltage at the battery with the engine running. If you have an overcharge problem it can cause the new battery to have acid issues also.
Thanks, I will do that.