EHRL4400 Generator

fayjim2

Threads
I need picture or something on th gov. spring adjustment. Transition from no load to medium load without the rpm lag. Is this common on a single cylinder? What iis the bolt looking adjuster on the gov levrer?What is the purose of the skinny long spring that surrounds the linkage?

fayjim2

Threads
Our altitude is 2400 feet??So does that mean the carb high and low screws need to be adjusted and if so cw/ccw and how much ? Thanks Jim Senn Athol Idaho

fayjim2

Threads
Will somebody PLEASE reply to this issue!!!!!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do you have the engine numbers and the units model number, starts with UT-????? The bolt you are talking about is probably the governed engine top speed or constant throttle adjuster. The spring is a constant, no lag, spring to help keep the engine from lagging when throttle is increased. Finally, you need patience on this site, as Homelite generators are not a very common unit that many techs work on. Even with the info I requested, I might not be able to help you out, because the last time I worked on a Homelite generator is about five years ago. What exactly is your problem? You need to give us a little more insite so we can narrow down our answers.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Governor spring adjustment will not solve a rpm lag. Either the spring is weak or wrong one. Another cause can be a carburetor problem. Normal governors on generators only have about 150 rpm drop when under load.

If the generator is running at 3750 off load (US) then it should only drop to around 3600 under full load.

As for carburetor adjustment you may need lean it a little as most tune for sea level to 1500 so it may need leaning. IF the IPL is correct you have old generator with a Briggs engine that has a updraft carburetor. These are tuned different than most carburetor and you let some with experience tune it.

As for the spring wrapped around the linkage it is a slack preventer spring. Otherwords it keep the linkages tight.

For further engine info we need the model , type code, and date code.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
The long skinny spring around the governor link is the anti-surge spring. It takes up the slack in the governor link to prevent surging.

fayjim2

Threads
B@S 8 hp Cast Iron Sleeve Model 194412 Type 1114-01 Code 92102110 Total Hours approx 50 hrs.The Gov. lever has 3 holes. The carb linkage is in the end hole. The big spring is in the hole closesest to the gov lever pivot point. The middle hole is empty.. I tore the carb apart and it was so clean inside (never seen anything so clean). I put a b/s kit in anyhow. Runs exactly the same. a lag when taking the load. and a stumble when going off load. Altitude 2400 feet. Both adjustable screws are at 1 1/2 turns out. I plan on sscrewing both in to 1 1/4 turns out. as suggested. Will someone tell me how to adjust anything else to make this gen run better.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do you have the generator numbers? I’d like to see if it has a generator adjusting screw. Also, would you test no load ACV at full speed and Hertz if you have a meter which reads Hertz?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
All small portable generators will have some RPM drop or sag and then recover when a load is applied. The rotating mass is not large enough to absorb the sudden braking effect of an instant load. To overcome this some higher end generators have sag conditioners which are usually some big batteries and big capacitors to absorb the instant load while the generator catches back up.

fayjim2

Threads
Oh well sounds like its ready for the scrap heap