Echo PE200 Edger Carb. Problem

krawfo

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just replaced the carb on my PE200 edger. The new one runs fine but the engine doesn't return to idle when the throttle trigger is released. A close look at the cable shows that it is rubbing on the edge of the threaded stud where the cable attaches to the carb (see arrow in attached picture).

carb.jpg

I don't see any way to center the cable in the stud and any suggestions would be most welcome.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The cable is not fitted correctly.
The silver nipple on the end has to be totally inside the brass drum.
On those carbs you have to remove the entire plastic plate from the top of the carb and the air filter housing.
The wire then goes in with the brass barrel at right angles to the position it is in now.
Thus the little plastic wall that is pinching the free end of the cable actually prevents the cable coming out of the brass drum & falling off when the trimmer is upside down.
On some you can get the nipple in with the slot at 45 (ish) degrees so it clears the wall and the mounting bolt.
The slot is the drum will have a bigger hole in one end so the nipple will fit totally inside, some are drilled bigger at both ends, some only one end.
When fitted properly the brass drum will rotate to keep the inner cable strait with the outer cable & adjuster

Some times I can do it fully assembled using tweezers but the air filter housing will have to come off to get the inner flat enough to go through the drum.
I have seen people replace them with the housing on and the other end connected to the trigger but I have never been able to get the buggers in unless the trigger end is disconnected to give me more free cable and the air filter housing removed.

krawfo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks so much for the reply Bert. I didn't realize that the slotted pivot was drilled out on one side. In spite of your excellent directions, I still had problems getting the cable on the pivot. I finally removed the throttle trigger on the shaft and was easily able to get the carb end engaged.
As with many repairs, I now realized I've opened Pandora's box. Removing the trigger was a blind operation and I couldn't see how everything in there fit together. It appears the trigger housing is a one piece item. Other models are two piece and split apart. I put the cable back on the trigger, inserted the spring but couldn't get the trigger to fully depress. I removed one of the screws securing the trigger assembly to the handle.
Look at the first image and you'll see that with the trigger in its normal position the open screw hole is fine. In the second image, I've depressed the trigger and you can see the end of the trigger that holds the cable would hit the mounting screw if it were installed. Once again, I'm missing something but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks in advance for any insight.

Attachments

• Trigger1.jpg
    Trigger1.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Trigger2.jpg
    Trigger2.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 14

krawfo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Don’t ask me what I did but the trigger is back and everything works great. Life is good again!

krawfo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Declared Victory Too Soon

Well, I definitely assembled this incorrectly. A couple of trigger pulls and the throttle locked wide open. I'm back to square 1. My instinct says the throttle cable is inserted wrong but I can find any other way to make it work.
Any suggestions would be most welcome.

primerbulb120

Threads
If the clamp screws are tightened too much, it will prevent the throttle trigger from returning to idle. You could loosen them and see if that helps...

krawfo

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’m pretty sure I didn’t over tighten the pivot screw. When I disassembled it today, it took very little effort to release & remove the screw.
My problem seems to revolve around the end of the trigger holding the cable hits the screw that compresses the housing to the shaft.
Thanks for the suggestions.

primerbulb120

Threads
I’m pretty sure I didn’t over tighten the pivot screw. When I disassembled it today, it took very little effort to release & remove the screw.
My problem seems to revolve around the end of the trigger holding the cable hits the screw that compresses the housing to the shaft.
Thanks for the suggestions.

That's the screw I was referring to. Overtightening it will cause the trigger to hit, and it won't return to idle.

If it's been overtightened too many times, you will have to replace the entire handle assembly for it to work correctly.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take the cable out of the throttle and leave off for a moment, and then work the throttle lever by hand, and see if it wants to stick wide open when you move it.

If it still wants to stick, remove the carb again, and then slightly loosen the screw holding the throttle plate, and reposition the plate. If not perfectly centered at the factory, it will stick as you are describing. Re-tighten when you have it centered and test it a bunch before re-assembling the trimmer.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here is a carb I just have on the desk.

thr 001.jpg