Echo PB-4600 backpack blower carb adjust question

Michael_Gee

Threads
Finally got around to restoring this old blower I got from my father in law this year. Put in a new carb kit and when to adjust it following the manual. According to the manual, when setting LO....
1. Turn screw fully clockwise.
2. Turn counter clockwise 1 1/4 turn
3. Warm up engine for 3 mins
4. Turn clockwise until engine RPM drops

Here's the problem. The RPMs actually increased. I actually ended up turning it completely closed and the RPMs kept increasing. Should I take this that I need to go counterclockwise at this point since I must already be in the lower RPM position of the tuning?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The new EPA carbs have a much finer thread on the needles so if you are using OLD instructions that sat 1.5 turns try 3 or 4
Secondly you need to drop the throttle opening as low as it will go and still allow the engine to run
Otherwise the engine could be running from the High speed jet and not the low speed jet.
There is no abrupt on/off for the changeover from high to low & visa versa
At full speed the fuel is provided around 95% high & 5 % low
At idle it is the opposite way round .

I always start with the high speed, lean till almost stall then rich to almost stall then back to a little on the rich side of 1/2 way between the two
Back off the throttle till it revs as low as it will run and set the throttle stop there
Adjust the Low needle same way as the High .
Then back the throttle stop off to get the lowest idle speed and adjust the Low again till it will idle at the specified speed.

Not finished yet because from there you go back & do the High again, which will alter the Low.
Then you turn off and see if it starts ok hot
let it get stone cold and check it will start OK from stone cold.
Fairly often I find I need to richen the mix a touch to get good cold starting .

Not the way they say to do it in the service manual but I have always found it os quickest & easiest to do it high first

Michael_Gee

Threads
Thanks. I'll give that a shot today.