Echo CS680 Chainsaw - spike bumper

adams

Threads
Was servicing my saw and found that the upper screw for the bumper spike had come loose and egged out the screw hole, so it does not tighten down anymore. So anyone else found a fix for this other then replacing the whole crankcase?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have a close look at the oil tank which is generally directly behind that hole
If there is space then clean up the hole & fill it with a eurothane filler then drill & tap it
Or plastic weld a solid insert like a time sert in there ( lots of cleaning required for that one )
Or as you asked replace the cases which is a lot bigger job than most would think .

adams

Threads
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering what was behind the hole as I was thinking if there was a possibility of drilling and tapping the hole deeper to use a longer bolt. The case looks like it would become to thin after drilling for a helicoil or time sert type repair so I am thinking your suggestion to use a filler might be best. Will do a search to learn more about doing this method of repair. Was surprised you could not just buy the side case but instead have to replace the whole crankcase at 40% of a new saw!

Last edited:

adams

Threads
Well filled the hole and the screw in now secured again. Time will tell if this is a long term fix, done with the saw far as a I know so will see what happens next spring when Firewood gathering starts up again.