Echo 250LN no spark after running 15 mins

Sean2202

Threads
Greetings,

I have a Echo 250LN hand held blower (May 2014 manufacture date) that I was told it "ran for a little while then just shut off and has no spark" After sitting on the bench in my shop over the weekend I tested the spark on Monday morning and it was good. Then I fired it right up, It ran great for about 15 minutes and then just shut off on its own. No spark this time upon trying to restart. I checked the spark plug and swapped in a good one with no success (BPM8Y). Any thoughts on what might be the problem or what next to trouble shoot?

Thanks for any suggestions
Sean

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The coil is a non serviceable item
IT will either work by making a spark or it won't work.
Any numbers are totally irrelivant

Sean2202

Threads
The coil is a non serviceable item
IT will either work by making a spark or it won't work.
Any numbers are totally irrelivant

I checked this mid morning (about 10AM) still no spark. It has been sitting on the bench and nobody else has touched it. Just tried it (12:50) and the blower fired right up first pull. Ignition switch has not been moved during the morning only to turn it off after it fired up just now.

So do you suspect the coil is getting hot and shutting off the spark?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would suspect a chaffed wire or bug infestation etc creating a short based on the information you have given.
The test is to pull the ground wire off the coil.
On a lot of hand helds there are 2 wires on the coil.
Pull them both off and move them right out of the way
If you now get a reliable spark you have a wiring / switch problem

Sean2202

Threads
This morning I removed the engine from the housing and removed one of the wires that comes from the coil to the switch. I then checked for spark and there was none. I also tried another known working plug and there was no spark. The coil wire to the spark plug is fixed on the coil and can not be removed. I inspected all wiring to the switch and used a multimeter to check for continuity on the switch in the on and off position. The switch itself and the wiring worked as it should. I checked the gap between the coil and the flywheel as shown in the video and readjusted it to no success. I will order a new coil today and try again when it arrives.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Echo coils have Lifetime warranty..

Sean2202

Threads
Echo coils have Lifetime warranty..

Thanks for the info. I called my local Echo dealer which I do a lot business with and asked about this. He told me that they do have a lifetime warranty but the dealer has to install them which requires labor cost. I already have it apart and the labor rate at the echo shop is $100 per hour. For a $60 coil I guess I will do it myself.

Thanks for the tip.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the info. I called my local Echo dealer which I do a lot business with and asked about this. He told me that they do have a lifetime warranty but the dealer has to install them which requires labor cost. I already have it apart and the labor rate at the echo shop is $100 per hour. For a $60 coil I guess I will do it myself.

Thanks for the tip.

Wow, Sorry. my Dealer told me they would just give me the coil, if I showed them that was indeed the issue..