Earthwise 24 v 20 amp hour mower dead...

lddake

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the Earthwise Cordless 24v 20 amp hour lawn mower and it won't do anything. My stepson was mowing the lawn yesterday and it quit on him. He thought the battery was dead and plugged it in. The problem is none of the LED charger indicator lights are functioning, and I have absolutely no response from the mower at all. The Battery is putting out almost 26 volts, and the switch tests fine. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

MowerMike

Threads
Which model do you have ? Is it the one with the built in battery (60020) or one the models with the removable battery (60120 or 60220) ? Did you try to charge the battery inside or outside the mower ? The charger might not be working and the battery might be weak even if you measure 26 volts open circuit with no load. I assume you are referring to the indicator lights on the charger and not on the mower itself.

lddake

Forum Newbie
Threads
Which model do you have ? Is it the one with the built in battery (60020) or one the models with the removable battery (60120 or 60220) ? Did you try to charge the battery inside or outside the mower ? The charger might not be working and the battery might be weak even if you measure 26 volts open circuit with no load. I assume you are referring to the indicator lights on the charger and not on the mower itself.

sorry for the lack of info, hopefully this will help. I have the 60120 with the removable battery pack. I tried charging it inside the mower as that is the charger I have. The charger has indicator lights, 1 that says power, that is on, and 1 that is either red or green for charging/ complete that is not on regardless of plugged in to the mower or not. I am getting 30 volts out of the charging cord. The lawn mower itself has a row of charging LEDs to let you know the progress of the charge and none of them are working. Hopefully this helps, any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated.

MowerMike

Threads
sorry for the lack of info, hopefully this will help. I have the 60120 with the removable battery pack. I tried charging it inside the mower as that is the charger I have. The charger has indicator lights, 1 that says power, that is on, and 1 that is either red or green for charging/ complete that is not on regardless of plugged in to the mower or not. I am getting 30 volts out of the charging cord. The lawn mower itself has a row of charging LEDs to let you know the progress of the charge and none of them are working. Hopefully this helps, any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, first off the lights on the mower operate only when the mower is running, not when it is off even if the charger is connected. Second, you need to remove the battery and try charging it outside the mower. There should be a separate cable to connect the charger directly to the battery. How exactly did you measure the battery voltage ?

lddake

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, first off the lights on the mower operate only when the mower is running, not when it is off even if the charger is connected. Second, you need to remove the battery and try charging it outside the mower. There should be a separate cable to connect the charger directly to the battery. How exactly did you measure the battery voltage ?

I have the casing off and measured the voltage on the connector next to the motor. Ok, so update: So I've traced out all the wires, and functions, and got the leds to work again. Kind of. when I unhook the ignition switch and then jumper the led green wire to the positive post, they work. but then when I jumper the positive side of the motor (green wire) to the white positive to engage it, it drops the volts from 26 or 32 depending on if the charger is plugged in or not, either way it drops it to zero volts. But then disengage it and right back up. would a bad battery behave like this? or should I be looking for a short in the motor? Thanks again.

MowerMike

Threads
OK, doesn't appear to be battery related. Most likely the motor is the culprit. Can you measure the resistance in the motor windings ? Also, can you manually turn the blade with the mower turned off ? Remove the battery before you try this.

lddake

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK, doesn't appear to be battery related. Most likely the motor is the culprit. Can you measure the resistance in the motor windings ? Also, can you manually turn the blade with the mower turned off ? Remove the battery before you try this.

Yes I can spin the blade by hand; with the battery unplugged :D what should I be looking for for resistance? I have never tested a motors windings before.

MowerMike

Threads
Yes I can spin the blade by hand; with the battery unplugged :D what should I be looking for for resistance? I have never tested a motors windings before.

You are just looking for consistent resistance values in the windings that should be neither very low (short to ground) or very high (open circuit), although it sounds like a short from what you've described. How long have you owned this mower ?

lddake

Forum Newbie
Threads
You are just looking for consistent resistance values in the windings that should be neither very low (short to ground) or very high (open circuit), although it sounds like a short from what you've described. How long have you owned this mower ?

we have had it just about 2 years now, stored indoors through winter. I checked for resistance and got about 0.8 ohms from ground to positive side of motor.

lddake

Forum Newbie
Threads
just out of curiosity do you know of any way to load test the battery? Just thinking to cover my bases... Thanks!