DYT4000 Kohler CV730 to Briggs & Stratton engine swap - need help with electrical conversion

cmrho

Threads
  • / DYT4000 Kohler CV730 to Briggs & Stratton engine swap - need help with electrical conversion
The CV730 finally gave out and I swapped for a B&S 44N877. I'm having trouble matching the DYT4000 wiring harness to the new engine.

The current 6 pin connector has wires: orange, red, black, blue+red, white, and an empty pin
The B&S engine has wires: red + red (jumpered pins), black, gray, green, and an empty pin

I think I've figured out the B&S is red +red (alternator + lights), magneto (black), fuel solenoid (gray), oil pressure (green)

But I can only guess as to the DYT4000 connector configuration. I guess that the red is alternator, black is magneto, orange is lights. But what is the blue+red and white?

I've looked for several hours and while I can find what the wires on the engine side connector go to, I cannot find a 1 for 1 matching to the wires for the harness-side connector.

Thanks for your help!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
  • / DYT4000 Kohler CV730 to Briggs & Stratton engine swap - need help with electrical conversion
What is the 917. number on the serial number tag?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take the blower cover off the old engine.
Look at the plug then mark where each wire went to on the mower side of the plug
THe Kohler has the same parts
so the coil wire goes to the coil & the carb solenoid wire will go to the carb solenoid the rectifier wire will go to the rectifier
That is the easy bit.
There will not be a 1 for 1
The kohler has a shift starter with the solenoid piggy backed on the side
The briggs will have an external solenoid so you will have to get one of those
Then the + from the battery will have to go to one side of the solenoid & you will need another battery cable to go from the solenoid to the starter.
The thin wire on the Kohler starter with the spade terminal will be the trigger wire so it will need to go to the new solenoid.
And finally the thin wire with the ring terminal on the end that was attached to the Kohler starter will have to go to the battery side of the new solenoid because it is the power feed to the mower.

Your 44N could come with any one of 5 different electrical systems which is why I am not going to say which colour wires go to what positions on the plug

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Asking the same question in two different places is only going to get you the same answers twice