Dumped a Valve: Worth Fixing

TCTC

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a Yr 2011 17.5 B&S powertech 31C707-3005-G5 that dumped a valve. Engine shut down on me. Found bottom valve assem lose and push rod not moving with cam. I wanted ask some of you techs out there is it worth trying to fix? I didn't put a gauge to check compression but felt it through spark plug.
Thoughts...

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
well "dumped a valve" and "felt it through the spark plug hole" "didn't check compression" sounds like a guess to me.

If you drop a valve it will bounce around and destroy the head, piston, maybe rod, and maybe cylinder walls. With no valve you would have no compression and no need to even check compression. It would be like checking to see what the air pressure is in a completely flat and shredded tire. How about doing some more checking to see what is really going on and what happened. What is the position of the valve now? What is the position of the valve guide compared to the others on the valve with the bent pushrod?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Well, if your push rod is not moving, that sounds like you camshaft has failed, and not necessarily a valve problem. Cams on these engines have a plurality of problems, mainly the automatic compression relief failing and the engine not starting due to too much compression and the cam lobes getting worn flat.

TCTC

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the responses. I should have described the problem a little better. The valve is intact. definitely the camshaft. No movement at all on the push rod. I was hoping to get your experience on whether it would be worth replacing the cam or looking for a new engine.
Thanks - Tony

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
depends why the valve it not moving. A bent pushrod could be hung up and not touching the lifter. The valve could be stuck in the guide and that bent the pushrod.