Drive belts won't tighten up

Redthegriz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Two weeks ago I was using a 2020ish pony42x 547cc with the 7 speed varispeed transmission hauling gravel around to fill holes in my driveway. Using 1st gear only while loaded it stopped moving after about 12 loads. I got new belts put in and nothing looks broken but the entire varispeed doesn't look like it was moving back far enough to engage the belt at higher gears. I'm at a loss on how to fix this if anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
We are not standing beside you...Please post the model number from the serial number tag as there are several CVT systems used on MTD mowers. Some use moving Vari-speed pulleys and other did it via tightening the primary drive belt.

Also did you use MTD belts or aftermarket ones?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
2018-19 model.

Okay sounds like the vari pulley pivot arm is binding. Disconnect the spring and disassemble the arm to check for rust and dirt. Just note the IPL show no replacement parts for this area. We would have go back an eariler model with the same system to se if we can the part numbers. Should be the same as my 2012 Yard Machines mower.

Note the spring will not be easy to get off or on without the right tools.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use a rope run it in the hook on the spring and pull it off.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hauling gravel, failed after 12 loads. :oops: Bet the drive belt is toast. Use a pickup truck next time.

Redthegriz

Forum Newbie
Threads
The arm assembly seems to move freely and can't find anything wrong with it

Redthegriz

Forum Newbie
Threads
The clutch pedal aslo seems to come back way to far now and the tooth for 7th (gear) doesn't rest on the stopper