Drive Belt Replacement

MartyF

Forum Newbie
Threads
Currently I have a Craftsman LT2000. I recently replaced the two drive belts. In my opinion that was a royal pain. For future reference what mowers drive belts are easiest to replace?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In my opinion none of today’s cheaper tractors are easy to replace the drive belts. Most are using a variable speed drive system with a sliding pulley. They give you very little run to work in. Easiest ones for me are the hydrostatic drive trannies, which only use one drive, but they cost more.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The MTD CVT system isn't all that bad. I have seen and done mowers with a lot hard systems.

Yes riders with the Hydros are usually easier but if you done any pulling then the CVT system is a lot better as the Hydros will stall out a lot easier.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would agree the MTD aren’t that bad, but you and I have done our share to know a couple of tricks when we have to do one. For the average Joe they’re still a pain.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On site when I don't have access to my big compressor & special tools, I drop the tranny on MTD's to change the belts

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Many of MTD CVT systems do require partial removal of the transaxle so it can be tilted to allow belt removal and installation. Other requires the loosening of the CVT pulley assembly. But as I said there are more involved drive replacements of other mowers.

As with anything some installations are simple and other are much more involved.

Just to do engine oil change on a Kubota RTV X1100 the belly pans has to be removed. Just did one today. Should be simpler but it is not.

qmark

Threads
My Grasshopper, easy.