Dr trimmer engine not getting spark

SC300Drifter

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Dr. Trimmer that's had the magneto replaced last season and worked fine, this season I went to use it and after not getting it to start I checked for spark and have none, it's a 6.75hp Briggs and Stratton engine. I checked the gap from the magneto and flywheel with feeler gauge and it was about .011" I disconnected the wire from the bottom of the magneto and checked with a multimeter from the magneto to the chassis and had continuity from the engine and magneto, wouldn't this make it not spark?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That wire is a ground wire
You test the magneto by removing that wire and attempting to start
The wire should be open circuit in the run position & closed circuit in the of position.

SC300Drifter

Forum Newbie
Threads
I tested for spark after removing the wire and had none, I figured it was a ground wire that after as a kill switch so that is why I checked continuity with my multimeter once the wire was removed and was surprised to see that the magneto was still grounded out and had continuity between the magneto and engine. I would think that the magneto should NOT be grounded out, especially with the wire removed and this is the cause of no spark. If this is correct could you point me in the right direction as to what my be the cause of the magneto being grounded without the kill switch wire being attached?
I can provide pics if that will help.
That wire is a ground wire
You test the magneto by removing that wire and attempting to start
The wire should be open circuit in the run position & closed circuit in the of position.
Tested

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I tested for spark after removing the wire and had none, I figured it was a ground wire that after as a kill switch so that is why I checked continuity with my multimeter once the wire was removed and was surprised to see that the magneto was still grounded out and had continuity between the magneto and engine. I would think that the magneto should NOT be grounded out, especially with the wire removed and this is the cause of no spark. If this is correct could you point me in the right direction as to what my be the cause of the magneto being grounded without the kill switch wire being attached?
I can provide pics if that will help.

Tested
And ?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
if you get no spark with that wire removed........points to a bad coil/magneto.
if you replaced the Mag with a chinese one, i could definitely see that would be the case.

Richard Milhous

Threads
The magnetron has to be grounded to work at all, otherwise there's no path for current to flow. The kill wire grounds it from a different internal point of the coil. With the kill wire disconnected, its contact on the magnetron will still show continuity with ground (while the magnetron is installed). It should have some resistance, but not a lot, maybe less than ohm. Briggs apparently does not recommend testing the resistance to verify the coil.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remove the ignition coil. Sand slash polish the coil mounting area AND the coil where it mounts. Both screw areas too. Coil needs a clean ground to fire the plug. Do this first before throwing parts at it.

peteco

Threads
Thats it clean ground is needed, try "card" gap, never fails. If no spark could be coil. Try another coil. Try another spark plug. No more options.

SC300Drifter

Forum Newbie
Threads
The problem is fixed! It ended up being a faulty cheap Chinese coil, the one that I had installed last year had failed already, after installing a new coil I had tons of spark! Still trying to get it to run steadily but at least it's attempting to start with starting fluid now.
Thanks for the help and answers everyone, much appreciated!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We keep saying and if we say it often enough hen perhaps people will start to understand
Ebay & Amazon are the perfect platform for criminals to off load known scrap as a good working parts
Mower parts should always be bought from a mower shop or from a parts retailer that has it's own web page and a real address where you can storm off to and throw the dud part through their front window.
Jeff Bezos thanks you for your contributions a his dog was running out of Russian caviar for breakfast .