Do suspension springs help a lot?

SlopeMan2

Threads
I have noticed the suspension springs on some more expensive ZTRs. I have owned 4 different cheaper brands without springs, and liked them. But, they are rough riding even with pillows and a suspension seat. Some of the ads point out that you can go faster with them. That sounds likely, but I don't go that fast when mowing for myself. I do have some trouble with Moles. It is unblievable how rough they can make the ground. I see that our dealer has Ferris, Toro, and Simplicity, I believe is the names, of mowers with springs. I don't see them at box stores yet. Just wonder how much they save your back. I have run the thought past my wife a time or two. When I mention the price, her expression telegraphs her opinion. If I have enough healthwise positive response, I could use it for a reason to stay out of the rest home longer.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a ferris 3100z it has 4 wheel independent suspension. Difference is night and day compared to a Z with no suspension. My yard has been decimated by moles and i still mow at top speed. Something like 13mph
The smaller ferris's don't have as good a suspension package.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Our yard at work, guys are flying on their SCAGs and nearly get bucked out of the seat all the time. They should install seat belts. Going so fast and getting thrown off would be a trip to the ER. It's kind of funny to watch them mow. Guys hit the same stinking area - every week - and have to scramble to get back into the seat. One day.....

slomo

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you have a roll bar, you're supposed to wear the furnished seat belt. No roll bar, no seat belt installed. The idea must be to get thrown clear of a hot machine that will pin you to the ground.

SlopeMan2

Threads
I have a ferris 3100z it has 4 wheel independent suspension. Difference is night and day compared to a Z with no suspension. My yard has been decimated by moles and i still mow at top speed. Something like 13mph

SlopeMan2

Threads
Now that sounds pretty good to me. I sure wouldn't be going that fast, well, unless I had a machine like that. We would all like to get it over with and find something we would rather do. I know I can sure take my sprung 4 wheeler and fly over rough ground. Of course that is completely different _ big tires, and doesn't get anything done. Thanks Hammermechanicman. Sounds good.

SlopeMan2

Threads
Our yard at work, guys are flying on their SCAGs and nearly get bucked out of the seat all the time. They should install seat belts. Going so fast and getting thrown off would be a trip to the ER. It's kind of funny to watch them mow. Guys hit the same stinking area - every week - and have to scramble to get back into the seat. One day.....

slomo
Ho - my neighbor flies on his Scagg, and gets 3 acres mowed extremely fast. He does a good job - but, is down in his back right now. It makes my back hurt just to watch. Thanks slomo ( u sound more my speed)

SlopeMan2

Threads
If you have a roll bar, you're supposed to wear the furnished seat belt. No roll bar, no seat belt installed. The idea must be to get thrown clear of a hot machine that will pin you to the ground.
Well, these ZTRs are pretty wide, so I am not likely to turn one over. On much of an incline, mine just goes down with the slope. I use the tractor for ditches. If mine had a roll bar, I might put some kind of canopy cover on it to protect me from falling limbs off my woods area. We are still have pretty big limbs fall since an ice storm 10 years ago. I don't see many roll bars in the up position. If i had one I might use it for protection from falling limbs instead of turning over, ha. Thanks cpurvis

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Our crew, they do a full reverse to stop the forward travel. You can see the tires go in reverse. Then it's full left or right then hammer down. Guess they haven't priced those tires yet. Tires are expensive. Should say Michelin on the side for what they charge. Course they don't own the equipment either. Anyway they mow way too fast for my tastes. Our yard is not flat. More like pasture land full of weeds. They don't wear seat belts either. Hearing protection, what is that LOL. Funny is when they try to stop that 1500 plus lb mower, you can hear the hydro system straining slash complaining loudly. Hate to price that rebuild.

slomo

qmark

Threads
Since I own my own mower, Grasshopper, I keep stop and go and turning smooth, to save on the drive and driveline parts.