do I rebuild or replace my b&s 24hp intek motor?

alvinjohn62

Threads
I killed my motor on my Husqvarna YTH24v48, the oil filter loosened and the motor ran out of oil and it died. Now I got zero compression.
How do I figure the cost of replacing it vs rebuilding?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Firstly stop cranking the engine as you could be doing a lot more damage .
You have no compression because of one or more of he following
1) can rod broken so pistons not moving . check with a pencil down the spark plug hole .
2) valve stuck open, check by removing the rocker covers and watching the valves moving
They are identical so should move the same amount and end up in the same place both valves, both sides
3) bore trashed / rings broken , pull heads off or look inside with a bore-o-scope.
Once you have looked & posted some photos ( no shakey out of focus videos with muffled sounds please )
we can give you a rough break down of what will be needed so you can cost the parts out .

alvinjohn62

Threads
ok Thank you, I will do that.

Elkins45

Threads
Just as an FYI in case it’s badly damaged and needs a lot of parts, Small Engine Warehouse has a 20hp on sale now for $499. I don’t know if you can live with four less HP but even with shipping the cost might not be much more than all the replacement parts likely ruined by oil starvation.

alvinjohn62

Threads
noted and thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it much.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would suggest not starting a new thread on the same thing each time your question changes.
Other thread:

alvinjohn62

Threads
suggestion taken seriously,
I really don't know why I did that.
Is there a way to merge the two threads that I started about the same problem?

alvinjohn62

Threads
Okay moving on forward I'll stay on this thread and stop any replies on the other.
Now I need some answers to questions and also some advice from the professionals/experienced people.
The right cylinder piston does not move.
I can rotate the crankshaft almost 360°
During that rotation I cant see any movement of the push rods of both cylinder.
I dont know which is cylinder 1 and which is cylinder 2.
What is the rotation of the motor viewed from the top?
Where in the flywheel is the TDC mark and where is the pointer on the crankcase?
What is my next step going forward?
Should I take the motor out of the mower or can work on it there?

I might be able to figure all this out myself but it will surely be easier and faster if you all good fellas can advice me.
And Thank You very much for all the help.

Alvin

Attachments

• briggsopenmotor.jpeg
    briggsopenmotor.jpeg
    830.6 KB · Views: 9
  • briggs serial number.jpeg
    briggs serial number.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 9

cootertwo

Threads
Engine is now a boat anchor. I wouldn't spend one cent on it. Sad but true.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
normally those symptoms mean either a broken crankshaft, connecting rod or both. You would have to take it apart, document the disassembly for reference, and then price the defective parts. You'll need a service manual. You might be able to find good used parts to rebuild it. That said, it is probably less costly to find a replacement engine that is new, or a good core for parts/to rebuild. If the connecting rod broke and hit the cylinder wall then the case is likely not worth using. But if all you need is a crankshaft and rods you might be able to find good used parts. Myself, I would just replace the engine with a known good used or new one. There are salvage yards for mowers you can see if they have a good used engine. There are also engine wholesalers for new ones.