Do I need a new spindle

Wpbrink1

Threads
Snapper 33" hivac.... was mowing and the left side went up into a concrete pad and the blade started hitting the deck as I continued. Blade on one side now is touching the bottom of the deck but the other side doesn't. Even put a new blade on and the 1 side still touches the deck when I spin it.... is the spindle bent out of shape? Do I need to buy a new spindle or the complete spindle assembly?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Snapper 33" hivac.... was mowing and the left side went up into a concrete pad and the blade started hitting the deck as I continued. Blade on one side now is touching the bottom of the deck but the other side doesn't. Even put a new blade on and the 1 side still touches the deck when I spin it.... is the spindle bent out of shape? Do I need to buy a new spindle or the complete spindle assembly?
Hold up just a minute. Doesn’t the 33” Snapper only have one blade?
You’ve got more problems than a spindle.

Last edited:

Wpbrink1

Threads
Hold up just a minute. Doesn’t the 33” Snapper only have one blade?
You’ve got more problems than a spindle.
Yes, it only has 1 blade but one side is touching the deck but the other side is not

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, it only has 1 blade but one side is touching the deck but the other side is not
You had better look it over good. All sorts of stuff could be messed up. The deck could be bent or torn. You want know anything until you look and start pulling parts off.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is a blade holder bar that probably got bent. It should have 2 adjusting bolts and nuts, parts 6 and 7, each side of the crankshaft. You adjust the bolts to level out the blade.

Part number 9 in the schematic.
33.png

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Units with one blade are very tough to diagnose, especially if we can’t see it in person. Most times those units will bend the deck where the spindle mounts. I would start looking there, making sure everything is good before buying parts or leveling the deck.

Wpbrink1

Threads
There is a blade holder bar that probably got bent. It should have 2 adjusting bolts and nuts, parts 6 and 7, each side of the crankshaft. You adjust the bolts to level out the blade.

Part number 9 in the schematic.
View attachment 63915
Can I just replace the blade holder bar by itself?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can I just replace the blade holder bar by itself?
See what @Rivets said above.
You need to know exactly what is bent or broken before buying anything.
That means that you are going to need to start removing parts.
A good place to start is to get the deck out from under it.
Being that it’s a Snapper, you may have trouble locating parts.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Could be several parts as MPARR and others are suggesting.

Take pictures or post a video of it on youtube. Give us the link to it when done. Much easier to help you out with pics and videos.