Dixie chopper wont crank when hot

Jmwoodworks

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Dixie chopper that will start and run fine when cold but after about 5 or so hours of running when stitch off it will not crank or anything starter wont even click I've replaced the starter and key stitch. You can jump the starter with a screwdriver and I will crank but the key wont when hot

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check your oil level.
If it is a little low the oil sentry on the engine will prevent it cranking till all of the oil has drained back into the sump and deactivated the low oil cut out .

Jmwoodworks

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check your oil level.
If it is a little low the oil sentry on the engine will prevent it cranking till all of the oil has drained back into the sump and deactivated the low oil cut out .

Jmwoodworks

Forum Newbie
Threads
It was low on oil but wouldn't kill the engine when running

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Might want to keep the oil at the FULL MARK. Check the oil at every mowing. Little Turtle Wax on the deck wouldn't hurt either. Little tire shine....

Does this have a Kawasaki engine? Some of those, you park the stick on top of the threads to check the oil. You don't screw the stick all the way in like on a Briggs. Most even say it on the stick. "For proper oil level, do not screw the stick in".

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
So you knew it was low on oil and ran it anyway? "I want to party with you cowboy". Stripes, great movie.

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Because it is in the CRANKING circuit, you know, the one that is not working when the engine is hot .
One usually avoids cranking a running engine, the teeth on the starter seem to object quite violently .
AFAIK the only engine with a low oil sensor that will shut down a running engine are the ones fitted to stationary engines used on generators & compressors as they are usually not monitored when in use .
Mowers almost universally have the low oil sensor on the cranking circuit.
In particular it stops idiots in showrooms cranking display mowers with no oil in them and similar for the brain dead who only read the manual after they have destroyed their new engines by starting them up without checking some one has put the oil in them.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does not have a low oil sensor that would stop the engine from starting when low on oil. It's like saying I have a car that won't start and not knowing what kind of car you have. They have different engines and different wiring systems. In other words if you are asking why your D/C mower won't start it would be nice to know what the heck D/C mower you have. They are not all alike.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Got 2 DC's in my repair run.
Both have low / no oil switch on the cranking circuit.
Think they are both Kohlers .
Know this because I get called out because they won't crank only to find it is low on oil & usually parked on a hill thus activating the low oil switch in the cranking circuit.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
What model of D/C's are they that have not start low oil sensors, new to me been working on them for 13 years yet to see one